How to make my Laptop Display, the primary desktop display

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Laptop, running the current version of Windows 10 - Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803.

When I connect both my HDMI attached display and my USB attached Display, via a docking station, the primary desktop moves to one of the attached displays, rather than remaining on the Laptop.  Currently all 3 displays have the setting, Extend Desktop.  In older versions of Windows, there was a setting that could be selected from the drop down that set the Primary Display.  This seems to be missing.  

I do have what looks like the Primary Display taskbar on the Laptop.  However all of the icons for applications has moved to one of the attached displays.

Is their a setting to tell Windows 10, to leave the Application icons on the Laptop?

If you click on Notification icon (near time and date) and click Project or press WinKey+P and from menu you could select how to share your screen.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I do have what looks like the Primary Display taskbar on the Laptop.  However all of the icons for applications has moved to one of the attached displays.

That sounds like Taskbar Settings may need to be changed.   Or are you looking at Desktop icons?   Those seem to be moved depending on the left most part of the combined Desktop but that would not necessarily have anything to do with which screen was primary.  The way that I know which screen is primary is where the Start menu opens when I press the Win- key or where the Project dialog shows when I press Win-P.  Otherwise you would need to use Display Settings, select a monitor icon in it and then see whether Make this my main display checkbox was available.  If it was checked and greyed out you would know that the monitor you had selected was designated primary.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right click on desktop(empty space). select display settings. Select The display you want to set as primary display.

Scroll Down and you will see Multiple Displays Settings.

Mark "Make this my main display"

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 1,309 Applies to: