How To Make a free download of a Windows XP ISO file work without License Code?

I'm trying to get a Windows XP to run in my licensed Windows 10 machine to run old software. I downloaded a free XP ISO file from Microsoft, but I need a valid code and the one I have the ISO is not accepting. How do you make something like this work? Thanks!

I'm trying to get a Windows XP to run in my licensed Windows 10 machine to run old software. I downloaded a free XP ISO file from Microsoft, but I need a valid code and the one I have the ISO is not accepting. How do you make something like this work? Thanks!

Microsoft no longer supplies XP ISOs for download or supports XP.

I think you are getting confused with a XP Service Pack download.

I have no idea what or where you downloaded it from.

And XP does not come for free; you have to have a legal product key.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding with your issue, first of all, Microsoft already End the support of Windows XP on April 8, 2014. so if you're looking for a valid code it may not work anymore just because of ending their support of Windows XP or let's say they already phased out the said OS.  

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got the XP ISO from here:   https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

I purchased an old Windows XP Copy on a CD with a License Code, however, my computer doesn't have a CD so I can use it to load the virtual machine. The person I bought the CD from on EBAY said the license code would work on any Windows XP 64 bit Edition. However, in this case that is not true. The bottom line is I need to get a copy of Windows XP working in a virtual machine because this old analytical software that I have for my analyzers will never be updated again and I need it to run this old diagnostic software to fix some problems. There has to be a way to make this work. Thanks.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I know Microsoft ended support of the XP OS. However, I have old analytical software written in XP that I need to run in a virtual machine, so therefore I need a working copy of XP loaded on that virtual machine. I purchased a XP 64 bit ed from EBAY with a license code (version 2005), but the ISO that I loaded from Microsoft (version 2002) and the code on the Microsoft XP Sticker on the XP Box are not liking each other. The XP is tell me it is an invalid code. I'm just trying to get the software to work.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows XP Mode

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002

Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy run many of your productivity programs that run on Windows XP on Windows 7. It uses virtualization technology such as Windows Virtual PC to provide a Virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.

System requirements for what you downloaded:

Supported Operating System

Windows 7

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, or Windows 7 Enterprise.
    • Hard disk requirement: 2GB for installing Windows XP Mode. Additional 15GB of hard disk space for the virtual Windows environment.
    Note: You can use Windows Virtual PC to run Windows XP Mode on your computer. Windows Virtual PC requires processor capable of hardware virtualization, with AMD-V™, Intel® VT or VIA® VT turned on in the BIOS.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 25,951 Applies to: