How to login to windows 8.1 using another user account

Hi ,

I have upgraded my pc to windows 8.1. It was successful. And I created a local user account (without administrator privilege).

Now I could not login to windows 8.1 using Microsoft live account. I could not see the live user account itself in Log in page.

The live account is available in  system user accounts list.  And also I could not enable the local administrator account.

How can I login with administrator privileges again? Please help me

Thanks,

Parthasarathy K

Hi,
Do you still have the password to the administrator account? If yes, please try this:
  1. Go to Start menu, type in 'cmd', right click on 'Command Prompt' then click on 'Run as administrator'. If it asks for the admin password and such, please type in. If prompted by User Account Control, just accept.
  2. Enter this command: net user administrator /active:yes then hit Enter.
Hope this helped, Good luck!

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

The Login screen will only show the last user account that was used to log in.

On that screen, you should see an Arrow Icon.

Click that icon and this should display all of the user accounts on the system. Select your Microsoft live account and log in.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will only work if you have a password on that account.  I've enabled the guest account and it does not have a password, so logs on without stopping at the Login Screen.

What does work, is going to the start screen and clicking on the account name and then signing out.  This will bring you back to the Login Screen where you can get to your Windows Live account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There is no Arrow icon on my Windows 8.1 log in page.  The only account I can ever see is the live Windows account I initially set up with admin access.  There IS an arrow on the right beside the password field, but of course, when you click on that it is to log in to the account that always comes up as default.  Clicking on this arrow does not show other accounts.

Don't know why this is supposed to be so hard to log into another account.  I have a few but cannot find a way to access them. 

Again, is there supposed to be another arrow besides the one by the password field?  If so how do I get it back.

Thanks,

Mike

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There is no Arrow icon on my Windows 8.1 log in page.  The only account I can ever see is the live Windows account I initially set up with admin access.  There IS an arrow on the right beside the password field, but of course, when you click on that it is to log in to the account that always comes up as default.  Clicking on this arrow does not show other accounts.

Don't know why this is supposed to be so hard to log into another account.  I have a few but cannot find a way to access them. 

Again, is there supposed to be another arrow besides the one by the password field?  If so how do I get it back.

Thanks,

Mike

I also no longer see anyway to change accounts either (no arrow on login page for that purpose) , but I know the account exists because I can see it the users control panel and I was even able to change the password. It would be nice to have a work around, a current method to use,  or an expected fix date for this problem

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem: only one sign in comes on (@hotmail.com), but my MS Account for Win 8.1 is a @gmail.com.  The PW for the @hotmail does not work, and I can't figure out a way to change it. Plus, MS has locked me out of my own computer for trying to many times, and now won't respond to my request for help (run around). This is confused by the fact that I bought a T100T, got bluescreened and reimbursed and bought another one.

Any idea on the T100T on how to access Windows (and everything in my pc) going around this sign in screen?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks,

Mike

I also no longer see anyway to change accounts either (no arrow on login page for that purpose) , but I know the account exists because I can see it the users control panel and I was even able to change the password. It would be nice to have a work around, a current method to use,  or an expected fix date for this problem

I found this website,http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/force-windows-8-to-show-all-user-accounts-on-the-sign-on-screen/, did the suggested registry hack and only my one account  appeared on the option page. I've checked to see if the other account is disabled in the Computer Management console and my main account, the other account I'm trying to access, the guest account, and now the Administrator account are all enabled, yet only my current account is accessible.

PS: My 2 day old Dell Insprion 3000 is displaying the same behavior, though I did sync it with the PC (Dell XPS 8500) that I'm trying to access the other account on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional info:

On my new Dell PC on the Metro start page the guest account does appear if I right click the current account icon on the upper right of the window. No option for any other account appears on the older XPS8500 PC. I didn't try logging into the guest account on the new pc, but I can if anyone thinks it will help,

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 17,038 Applies to: