How to identify which version of Windows Media Player

Hi All, I am running a Win 7 running on a 64 bits system, which has Windows Media Player installed. My question is why do I seem to have a WMP installed in both the Normal Program Files sub-directory and also in the Program Files(x86) sub-directory ?

Is this normal ? Why would I need WMP running in 32 & 64 bit modes ? This seems to confuse Ashampoo SNAP 3 which ran quite happily on my laptop running Win XP until it crashed and I installed the same program on my new Win 7 desktop.Now it keeps on saying Windows have detected a problem with the software and need to exit.

My new configuration is : i5-650 CPU, 4 GB Ram, 1.5 TB with Win 7 64 bit OEM OS.

Would appreciate any feedback on this .... Thanks

Regards, Tony

Answer
Answer

or Alt > click Help > About Windows Media Player.

Its version 12 by the way.

Windows 7 includes to versions of Windows Media Player 12, 32 and 64 bit. One is for compatibility purposes (32 bit) while the 64 bit version is more of direction of where software is heading in the future. Media is processor and memory intensive medium. A 64 bit version of Media Player will be able to handle larger amounts of information better. But the success of this will be partly be determined by better third party extension support. WMP 12 out of box supports a wide range of media codecs though.

Teching It Easy: With Windows |ActiveWin |Notebooks | Microsoft MVP
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

> How to identify which version of Windows Media Player

Start Windows Media Player.
Press CTRL-M
Help
About Windows Mediaplayer

"Self_support_not_by_choice" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy *** .com...

Hi All, I am running a Win 7 running on a 64 bits system, which has Windows Media Player installed. My question is why do I seem to have a WMP installed in both the Normal Program Files sub-directory and also in the Program Files(x86) sub-directory ?

Is this normal ? Why would I need WMP running in 32 & 64 bit modes ? This seems to confuse Ashampoo SNAP 3 which ran quite happily on my laptop running Win XP until it crashed and I installed the same program on my new Win 7 desktop.Now it keeps on saying Windows have detected a problem with the software and need to exit.

My new configuration is : i5-650 CPU, 4 GB Ram, 1.5 TB with Win 7 64 bit OEM OS.

Would appreciate any feedback on this .... Thanks

Regards, Tony

Have a nice day!
Have a nice day!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 9, 2023 Views 2,596 Applies to: