How to get to safe mode in Windows 8.1

My recent upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 has got corrupted to the point that no application work. I can't get to the command prompt either. I want to reinstall Windows from the USB flash drive I used with the download, but to do that I need to get to safe mode. I've looked at various options online, but nothing has worked. Any ideas of how to get to safe mode?

Hold Shift while you click the "Restart" option on the power button.

However you don't need to get to safe mode to install again from the flash drive.  Just plug in the drive, reboot, and boot up to it.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If there is any personal data on the drive, you want to at least be able to recover that.

If you are installing from a thumb drive, see the following instructions how to prepare your computer to boot from one:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/Start-your-computer-from-a-Windows-7-installation-disc-or-USB-flash-drive

Boot from the Windows 8.1 thumb drive

Click Install Now
Accept License Agreement
When the option is displayed to select an installation type, click (Custom Advanced)

select the disk partition where you would like to install Windows 8 Click Next.

You will receive the following warning:

The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows Installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will be able to use your previous version of Windows.

(At all cost, do NOT click anything named Format or Delete or Partition. So even doing a custom install, your personal files are still preserved. Click OK

Setup will now start the installation. During the installation, your machine will be restarted several times.

When the installation is complete, you can complete the Out of Box experience such as selecting your laptop, create a username, password, your time zone. You can then proceed to download the latest updates for Windows and reinstall your applications and drivers.

You can then recover your personal files from the Windows.old folder and reinstall all your applications and drivers.

Retrieve files from the Windows.old folder - Windows Help

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In windows 8 desktop press (windows key + R) this will open run command. Then type msconfig and hit enter key.

Config option box will appear. Select startup tab. There is a checkbox "start in safe mode" check this checkbox and click apply button. Windows will restart in safe mode.

Freelance Wordpress Developer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I downloaded a new version of Windows 8.1 on another computer using my product key, created an ISO file on a flash drive, and then burned a bootable W 8.1 on a DVD. Then during the reboot up (the one function I could access on the semi-froszen PC, I pressed F12 to go into the start up menu and that took me to a menu where I could specify booting from the DVD/CD. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2024 Views 1,286 Applies to: