How to get rid of Get rid of ms-resource:appDisplayName "bug" ?

This was already asked on the insiders forum (?) and someone told all of us using final builds to post the question here so...

Since RS3 (Is this the proper name for the release?) (don't know what build) update that the start menu has an unremovable "ms-resource:appDisplayName" item on it.... And no solution apparently (cant uninstall whatever that is).

Any ideias? I have this problem on 2 machines...
(image attached with the "item" mentioned) (also i'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.165  x64)

Thank you

Hi Exnor,

I found another thread that handled the same issue as yours. Neuperlach has shared a batch file or a solution that has worked for him and has also helped several community members regarding the ms-resource:appDisplayName issue. Please check his response from this link.

Let me know how it turns out so we can further look into the case.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Exnor,

I found another thread that handled the same issue as yours. Neuperlach has shared a batch file or a solution that has worked for him and has also helped several community members regarding the ms-resource:appDisplayName issue. Please check his response from this link.

Let me know how it turns out so we can further look into the case.

Regards.

Hi Vanessa,

As you can see i was participating on that particularly thread and already tried that and the other suggestions (except a full reinstall or reset or anything extreme like that) and none of them worked.
Then someone on that thread suggested that we (the consumers) that were experiencing this problem and were using final builds not the insiders ones to post the question on this part of the forum and so i did.

So far i have not found a working solution for what looks like a simple UI bug, but i'm not a MS engineer so what do i know? 

Thank you.

ExNoR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I've noticed that you were on that thread. I was just making sure that the suggested resolution has been tried so we can proceed with other options. I actually bumped into a thread that the same issue has been addressed by running the Start Menu Troubleshooter. However, the link seems broken. Please bear with me as I further check on this issue so I'll be able to provide you with resolution.

Will get back to you in 2days. Thank you for your patience.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I've noticed that you were on that thread. I was just making sure that the suggested resolution has been tried so we can proceed with other options. I actually bumped into a thread that the same issue has been addressed by running the Start Menu Troubleshooter. However, the link seems broken. Please bear with me as I further check on this issue so I'll be able to provide you with resolution.

Will get back to you in 2days. Thank you for your patience.

Ok... i'm not going anywhere. If you can point to me a working solution i will be very grateful (and i assume other MS constumers with the same problem will also be grateful).

Thank you  

ExNoR

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Exnor,

I've looked into the ms-resource:appDisplayName issue that you've encountered and found out that this has already been reported to software engineers are they are currently working on it. There is a workaround that they provided which you may try. Here are the steps:

1. Right-click the Windows key and click Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type in PowerShell and hit Enter.
  3. Type in the below command and hit Enter.

"Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}"

If the above steps won't work, then I recommend that you visit our Feedback Hub and upvote the posted feedback regarding ms-resource:appDisplayName.

Let me know if you need further information.

Regards.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Exnor,

I've looked into the ms-resource:appDisplayName issue that you've encountered and found out that this has already been reported to software engineers are they are currently working on it. There is a workaround that they provided which you may try. Here are the steps:

"Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}"

If the above steps won't work, then I recommend that you visit our Feedback Hub and upvote the posted feedback regarding ms-resource:appDisplayName.

Regards.

Noup... i've got the following error: 

ExNoR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Exnor,

Regards.

Also on a side note i've tested with both Restricted mode (Get-ExecutionPolicy) and Unrestricted (Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted)
ExNoR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Exnor,

Regards.

Again on the mentioned script a side note that you should have warned... this script REINSTALLS all previous removed Windows APPs (Apps removed via the command powershell -Command "& {Get-AppxPackage name_of_app | Remove-AppxPackage} ....

I think a warning would be nice...

Thank you.

ExNoR

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A fix that does work for this problem is to create a new local user account and copy your data, files and settings over to that new account. Its easy to try to see if that works for you. Create the new account, logon and check the Start Menu to make sure that the "ms-resource:appDisplayName" link at the bottom of the Start Menu is gone before taking the time to copy your stuff to the new account. I wish I knew another way, but I don't. I have four users on the same machine and each user was impacted in the same way when the computer was updated to version 1803 build 17134.167

You can change the new local user account to a MS account if that is what you use.

Since this bug is an annoyance and does not impact the use of your computer, you can wait to see if MS eventually fixes their mistake.

😊

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A fix that does work for this problem is to create a new local user account and copy your data, files and settings over to that new account. Its easy to try to see if that works for you. Create the new account, logon and check the Start Menu to make sure that the "ms-resource:appDisplayName" link at the bottom of the Start Menu is gone before taking the time to copy your stuff to the new account. I wish I knew another way, but I don't. I have four users on the same machine and each user was impacted in the same way when the computer was updated to version 1803 build 17134.167

You can change the new local user account to a MS account if that is what you use.

Since this bug is an annoyance and does not impact the use of your computer, you can wait to see if MS eventually fixes their mistake.

😊

I'm sorry but that is not an acceptable solution!  Create a new account and import all user data from another account just to fix what is (from an user perspective) a UI bug? And since this "bug" appears in every account in the affected machines that would require doing the same process on every one of the local accounts... no that is, for me at least, not acceptable .

I appreciate your input but i refuse to do that for what appears to be a simple "bug" that Microsoft continues to ignore (yes i am aware that i'm not the only one with this "bug" on the start menu/bar/whatever MS calls it now).

ExNoR

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 9,964 Applies to: