How to get back the colored Taskbar and Start Menu after May 2019 Update

In Version 1903 they changed the default Light color mode to light grey, but this color can be changed by going into Settings > Personalization > Colors and changing the top dropdown menu labeled "Color" to Custom mode.  Below that change the Default Windows Mode to Dark, which now includes colors.  (I would hold off on also choosing Dark theme for Default Apps Color because for some it's turning it black, which may be a bug).

Once you do that choose an Accent color from the color palette, or tick the box to Pick an Accent color from your Background. Below that tick the box to Show Accent Color on Start, Taskbar and Action Center and Title Bars and Windows borders.

This is further illustrated in this tutorial:  How to change color modes on the Windows 10 May 2019 Update | Windows Central

For example, when I choose Custom colors for Windows and Apps, then check the boxes for Transparency (more an enhancement than transparent) and Pick a Color from my Backgrounds, apply it to Taskbar, Start Menu and Title Bars & Windows, it gives a dark colored task bar and Windows frames, a slightly less dark colored Start Menu, and more brightly colored apps - all in a color theme it's selected from my desktop slideshow Theme - today it's been blue, aqua, brown and green.  But you can customize this to any other color or combination from the color palette.

For Themes I use the spectacular free slideshow Themes from the Store that will install to the Personalization > Themes panel to choose from:   Windows Themes - Microsoft Store

Note if you choose a new Theme you'll need to redo the above steps afterward. 

To change text color to another or back to black if necessary see here:

Change Window Text Color in Windows 10 | Tutorials

If you have any questions or need further help with this issue, you can post a Reply below one time (not repeated posts which will be removed).  Otherwise start your own thread and do not post here!

Discussion Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 13,708 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi.. i am  window since from 2015.. window 10 very easy to use than other windows and have many intersting features in window 10...this article is very helpful for me..thanks for this artile..
Sanjivani

Hello,

Thiere is a free program called classic shell that is replacement of the built in start menu.

You can use it on windows 7 thru 10.

http://www.classicshell.net/features/

It is completely and totally free and very customizable.

I particular like that I can backup my settings of it and copy it into other computers as well.

Also, when windows has an update that makes a change to the built in start menu, it does not effect your settings in yours.

I hope this helps you.

- Jason Smithers

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20
I tried this and it screwed all my fonts and stuff up. I had to go back to default and enlarge all my pages. All the webmasters think it's great fun (I guess) to torture us older folks with less than perfect vision.

Delia -

Is your goal to enlarge the type or to change the colors?  Or both?

What I'd do is go through the steps for changing the color on task bar, Start menu and in window titles and borders (if you want).

Then to enlarge the type, do it in Settings > System > Display using the Scaling Settings.  Start with 125% and if that's too big, try a Custom Scaling around 112% to 118% is what works for most.

This should enlarge everything on the page proportionately which is better than just the type. 

In your browsers, an easy way to enlarge is to hold the Ctrl key down and slowly roll the mouse wheel (or tap the + or - key) to resize the type the way you want and frame the page within the borders of the Window.  It helps to start with the WIndow maximized so you can make everything bigger. 

I hope this helps.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20
Thanks for giving the solution.
thanks for sharing the info..........
Reply In reply to deleted message

settings personalization, colours freeze....

I haven't the foggiest idea of what I am asking, but all my pictures/photos files open with brown coloured files, when I click on them they produce white images..no coloured images

can you help please, joy marshall

Please post a screenshot so we can see what you're seeing.  Here's how:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/open-snipping-tool-and-take-a-screenshot.  Attach using Attach Image button in reply box.

When did this start?  You can try to System Restore to get back before the change.  See here:  How to use System Restore on Windows 10 | Windows Central

Windows MVP 2010-20

In Version 1903 they changed the default Light color mode to light grey, but this color can be changed by going into Settings > Personalization > Colors and changing the top dropdown menu labeled "Color" to Custom mode.  Below that change the Default Windows Mode to Dark, which now includes colors.  (I would hold off on also choosing Dark theme for Default Apps Color because for some it's turning it black, which may be a bug).

Once you do that choose an Accent color from the color palette, or tick the box to Pick an Accent color from your Background. Below that tick the box to Show Accent Color on Start, Taskbar and Action Center and Title Bars and Windows borders.

This is further illustrated in this tutorial:  How to change color modes on the Windows 10 May 2019 Update | Windows Central

For example, when I choose Custom colors for Windows and Apps, then check the boxes for Transparency (more an enhancement than transparent) and Pick a Color from my Backgrounds, apply it to Taskbar, Start Menu and Title Bars & Windows, it gives a dark colored task bar and Windows frames, a slightly less dark colored Start Menu, and more brightly colored apps - all in a color theme it's selected from my desktop slideshow Theme - today it's been blue, aqua, brown and green.  But you can customize this to any other color or combination from the color palette.

For Themes I use the spectacular free slideshow Themes from the Store that will install to the Personalization > Themes panel to choose from:   Windows Themes - Microsoft Store

Note if you choose a new Theme you'll need to redo the above steps afterward. 

To change text color to another or back to black if necessary see here:

Change Window Text Color in Windows 10 | Tutorials

I hope this helps. 

yes