How to fix Update failed (error: 3)An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80080005 -- system level).

Version 43.0.2357.81 dev-m

Update failed (error: 3)An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80080005 -- system level).

that is the message I get when I try to update Chrome in the "about chrome" page. When I try to go on websites I get the message" adobe flash has been blocked" and when I try to update, it won't update and instead I get the error message above.

I am running a computer scan through security essentials but it has been running for over 12 hours please help.  

Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Update failed (error: 3) an error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80080005 -- system level).

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to kindly provide me with the following information.

1. Did you make any significant hardware or software changes recently in the system?

2. What is the make and model of the computer?

3. Which security program have you installed in the computer?

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred if a required system file is registered incorrectly or due to corrupt Windows update service or due to any third party application conflicts in the computer.

It is important to install all the updates in the system as it provides the system with significant security and reliability. These updates address non critical problems and help enhance your computing experience.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1:

Let’s try to run Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if it helps.

To run the troubleshooter, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

Open the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Note: The above troubleshooter will check whether the Network Adapter and Windows Update services are running correctly.

If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Let’s try to install the updates in clean boot state and check if it helps.

To diagnose the problem whether any third party program or application is causing the conflict, I would suggest you to try “clean boot” and check if it helps.

Important:  Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a “clean boot” in Windows, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Try to install the updates in clean boot state and check if it helps.

You may also check installing the updates manually. Please refer to the article given below and check if it helps.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/definitions/adl.aspx

Note: Please refer to the section: “Manually download the latest updates” from the above given article.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Try to reboot the system and check if it helps.

If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

How to temporarily disable antivirus software, please refer the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/disable-antivirus-software#1TC=windows-7

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

When you disable Antivirus:

Important Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue persists, follow method 4

Method 4:

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows Update Components. Please follow the steps in the article given below and check if it works.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Now, you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2024 Views 18,190 Applies to: