how to fix crashed window xp, will not boot windows

my computer running windows xp media edition wont start all i get is a press f1 to run and i follow what it says and it just keep going back to the same screen ,i have tried everything i get to the windows xp screen and nothing happens ,it is pre installed and i have a disk which i insert to cd and nothing happens like i tell it to boot to cd but nothing happens , the promts says error reading grive a: and it will not let me enter any words at the dos prompt if just want F1 to run setup i which is a floppy drive which i dont have ? on the pc i never did make a recovery disks  so i am stuck
Answer
Answer

Hi,

What is the complete error message which you receive when trying to boot to desktop?

Step 1: Use Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure option and check if you get any error message. If you see any error message on monitor screen then post back the same.

Steps to select Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure:

1. Restart the computer.
2. As the computer is restarting, press the F8 key repeatedly until you see the Windows Advanced Options screen.
3. Use the arrow keys to select Disable automatic restart on system failure, and then press ENTER.

Step 2: If you receive Recovery Console after pressing F8 at startup then try performing system restore or run chkdsk command in recovery console.

Refer:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
Chkdsk
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

Chkdsk disclaimer.
Important:
While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 2,457 Applies to: