Question

Q: How to fix computer auto shutdown & restart

The Laptop Lenovo Z470 Ideapad sometimes just shutdown and restart & a blue screen appears telling you that the has to shut down to

prevent damage the computer. Please someone out there guide me how to fix it. I have reformated but it does not seem to solve to solve

the problem.

Answer

A:

Hi Chan,

Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community!

I am sorry to hear that you are getting a blue screen error and the computer shutdown and restarts.

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will certainly help you out with this issue.

Here are few troubleshooting methods that you may try in order to fix the issue.

Method 1: Disable the automatic restart of Windows 7 on system failure.

By default, the computer is configured to automatically restart when Windows stops responding.

If your computer constantly restarts while you are using it, or if you are trying to shut down the computer after it has stopped unexpectedly, click to clear the Automatically restart check box. If you clear this check box, you receive an error message when the computer stops responding. This error message may describe the cause of the problem.

To disable automatic restart on system failure, follow these steps:

a) Open Control Panel and navigate to System and Security.

b) Under System and Security, click on System link.

c) In the system information, on the left side click on the “Advanced System Settings” link.

d) In the advanced system settings window, click on the startup and recovery options.

e) Click on the settings button for startup and recovery.

f) Uncheck the box against “Automatically Restart” and click OK.

g) Close the control panel.

Your computer will not restart automatically next time when Windows encounters a system failure. Note any error message or error code and post it here so that we can troubleshoot the issue.

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

Method 2:

You may download and install the latest graphics card from the manufacturer’s website and check if the issue persists.

Update drivers: recommended links

I would suggest you to send the collected files using the following link.

Use SkyDrive to upload dump files and post screen shot/picture.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65/

For more information, refer to the link and check.

Resolving stop (blue screen) errors in Windows 7

I would suggest you to follow the steps “If you can start Windows” from the following article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors-in-Windows-7

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Disclaimer: System Image Backup

When you restore your computer from a system image, the contents of your hard disk are replaced with the contents of the system image. This means that any changes you've made, programs you've installed, or files you've saved after the system image was created will likely be lost unless you have a recent backup of your data.

If the issue persists or you have further questions on Windows, please do not hesitate to let us know. It is our pleasure to be of assistance.

K.Z. Sharief Khan
Ex-Microsoft Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

71 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 62,978 Last updated: July 16, 2018 Applies to: