How to fix automatic pin being entered?

On start up pc will automatically enter in a(n) (incorrect) pin without any touch of the keyboard or mouse. I plugged in another keyboard and restarted and there was no automatic pin being entered but once in using the orignal keyboard there seems to be no issue with it only when restarting the pc.

Hello, this is Emily.

If I understand correctly, these can be the steps you can try:

First, go to Settings > Accounts > Sign in options, Make sure "For improved security, only allow Windows Hello Sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended). " is turned OFF.

Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and press enter, select your user, if the "user must enter a username and password to use this computer" box is NOT checked, please check it , click Apply.

Now restart the computer and let me know if you observe the same behavior.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This behavior was occuring with "user must enter a username and password to use this computer" already checked. I uncheck it and now it automatically signs in with no error without me touching the keybaord. How can I have it set up before this issue, where on start up, I have to press the 4-digit-pin to sign in. To explain the issue a little better: on start up there comes a point where it asks me to eneter a 4-digit pin to sign in, with the box checked it is as if a ghost is automatically typing in a pin before I can even press a key the pin is awalys wrong and it will do this until it asks me to enter " A1B2C3" and to try again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, on the screen it automatically signs you in, are you sure it is asking for PIN, not for password? I wonder if the sign in option might be messed up on the sign in page.

It almost sounds like you might have a keyboard issue that's doing phantom input. If that's the case, we might need to have you set up auto log in with password to bypass this issue.

This is how you do it:

1. Type netplwiz in the search on the taskbar and press enter, select your user, if the "user must enter a username and password to use this computer" box is NOT checked, please check it , click Apply. Then uncheck the box and click Apply. This will bring up a pop up window.

2. On this pop up window, this is where most mistakes happen. Very important, erase the username that's prefilled. Username should be your entire email address for your Microsoft account. Password is your Microsoft account's password. Any typo here can prevent it from working. Then click OK. And back to the netplwiz page, click OK.

3. Restart the computer now. It should hopefully signing you in automatically with the correct password. It won't prompt you for PIN though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 324 Applies to: