How to find out which files were recently moved?

I have been sorting hundreds of files into about twenty different folders. Some files get put into more than one folder. After I finish filing the file into one or more folders, I have placed it into a folder called, "Already Sorted," which is a master dump of all the files that have been categorized into folders.

I was doing this on the desktop, but things were running too slow, so I moved it all onto the local network drive. Before, when I dragged a file into a folder on the desktop, it copied it. Now, handling things all on the network drive it moves the file instead.

The problem this created is now some files are not represented in the "Already Sorted" folder. So then, I went back into each of the individual category files to create copy onto the "Already Sorted" folder,  but I forgot that would *move* the file rather than copy it, so now sorted files are removed from the sorted folders, and mixed in with the hundreds of other files "Already Sorted." 

I didn't open or modify these files when moving them, so the date created and modified have not updated. Is there a "date placed in this location," or similar?

How do I identify just the files I recently moved so I don't have to go through the hundreds of files again trying to figure out which ones I just moved?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

If possible, you can take a look at the last modified date of the directory or the folder itself, since the directories are modified when the files are inserted into them.

Alternatively, you can also check the option ‘restore previous version of the folder’ to see if that helps.

You can perform one of the following actions on a folder to see if that helps.

• Right click or press and hold on the file, and click/tap on Restore previous versions.

• Right click or press and hold on the file, click/tap on Properties, and click/tap on the Previous Versions tab.

Hopefully, you will get to know on which date or time, a particular file was added to that folder.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' or 'No'.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2024 Views 57,149 Applies to: