How to enable the Ctrl-Alt-Delete bypass to display logon screen instead of Welcome screen in Windows 7

In Windows XP when you got to the Welcome screen you could press control alt delete twice to access a domain style logon screen where you had to type in the user name and password to log on. You could have used this to access the Administrator account without going through Safe mode.

I want to know if there is anyway of doing this in Windows 7. The main reason I'm asking is that this has saved me a lot of hassles in the past when a User account doesn't load properly, is damaged or I need to change the whole profile to another name. Also when I need to do backups of a User's profile I could use that to do so without worrying that files are in use.

I have found the GPO that makes you put in Username and password at logon, but this is not entirely what I'm looking for. I want to retain the standard Welcome screen but not display the Administrator account and still have direct access to that account.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Follow the methods mentioned below and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you follow the link to enable the Ctrl + Alt + Del sequence:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

Method 2: I would also suggest you enable the default administrator account by following the link and check if it helps when other user account does not load properly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744293(WS.10).aspx

Note: If any user profile gets corrupted then you can fix the same by following the steps from link:

Fix a corrupted user profile

Create a user account

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it does not fix my problem. I do not want the Administrator account to show up in the Welcome screen, but still want access to it locally on the machine, so hiding it does not help exactly. I want to retain the welcome screen where you click on the users Icon but when I tap ctrl-alt-delete twice it takes me to a domain logon style screen.

I've got an Idea this has been removed from Windows 7 and Vista but just want to make sure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the problem was misunderstood.  I have this same issue on W7.  When the computer displays the Welcome screen with one or more user icons, I want to get to the classic logon window with User Name and Password in text boxes.  In XP, you could simply press the crtl-alt-del sequence twice.

How does one do this in Windows 7 (or in Vista) ?

I don't want to make a permanent change, just to be able to get to a hidden account with Administrator privileges, so I can install software for the user.  It is convenient to hide the administrator-type accounts, so they don't clutter up the Welcome screen and annoy the user.  I generally create one primary account with admin privileges and a second one as a backup, both with complex passwords, and leave the built-in admin account disabled (in keeping with good security practices).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Because of the way Windows 7 was built, there is no domain-style login screen. That GPO that makes you put in Username and Password IS the domain-style login screen. There is no way to bypass it.
--------------------------------------
Pwned by Dr.Kirby
agent.blockhead@inbox.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2023 Views 8,906 Applies to: