How to enable ASHA (speech and hearing) protocols in Windows 10?

As of 2016, ASHA has become the newest way to pair devices with hearing aids. I have a set of hearing aids (Jabra Enhance Pro) that are not currently backwards compatible and ONLY support ASHA. However, my windows 10 laptop (Dell 5580) does not detect the hearing aids as a valid audio output device. How do I enable my windows 10 laptop to properly pair with the hearing aids and stream audio?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

-Hi, my name is Claudeir, I'm happy to help you!
I hope this document can help:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/gui...

-Feel free to leave your opinion, marking as answered if the answer helped, or leaving more details so that we can continue the service, this is very important to us.
Graciously,

Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Claudeir.

Thanks for trying. :) I have looked at that guide several times already, and did so again just now to make sure I did not miss anything. Unfortunately, the Ease of Access options within Windows 10 does not cover hearing aid connectivity. More specifically, my Jabra Enhance Pro hearing aids are not backwards compatible, and require a minimum of Bluetooth 5.0 and LE (among other things). I am currently unable to stream audio from my Windows 10 platform to my hearing aids.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you ever been able to use your device via bluetooth on Windows 10 at some point?
Have you already tested it on another Windows 10 PC?
Have you searched your device manufacturer's website to find driver or manufacturer support?

Yours sincerely,
Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes to all three questions.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So on another PC Windows 10 works without problems?

Got a response from your device support confirming that you need to find a way to enable Asha protocols?

Anyway, follow these procedures in relation to bluetooth:
-Solve problems with bluetooth:
With the device connected, let's try troubleshooting:
Windows+i> Update and security> troubleshooting> additional troubleshooting> bluetooth> run solution.
See if it solves the problem.
If necessary, we will reinstall the bluetooth drivers:
Windows+X> task manager> bluetooth, right click on all drivers, Uninstall. Restart the laptop.

Yours sincerely,
Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Claudeir,

Unfortunately, what you describe is not the root problem at all. Please look up the specs for the Jabra Enhance Pro - a simple bluetooth connection is not adequate by a long shot.

You asked if I can use a different Windows 10 computer - I get the same results on all my Windows 10 computers (laptops and desktops), using Bluetooth 4 or Bluetooth 5.0. I can "see" the hearing aids and connect to them, but Windows does not recognize them as proper sound output devices. In fact, Windows has no clue what they are, just merely "devices" (see attached image).

I have done more reading. From what I can tell, ASHA might be specific to Android. iPhone works really well with my hearing aids, so iPhone has been using some kind of baked in technology that even really old iPhones support. However, Windows seems completely unable to take advantage of the same technology. My request is to figure out how to get Windows to work with my hearing aids - Google and Apple already support the necessary protocols, why doesn't Microsoft?

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I believe I made in an error in my response.

When you asked if I have ever connected to my "device" from any Windows machine, I think I have may have misled you with my response saying "yes". The fact is, NO, I have never been able to connect to my current hearing aids (Jabra) with a Windows platform. I have connected to previous hearing aids (Phonak) just fine, but Phonak uses a different technology stack. Currently, it seems that Windows and Jabra do not talk to each other at all.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done more reading. From what I can tell, ASHA might be specific to Android. iPhone works really well with my hearing aids, so iPhone has been using some kind of baked in technology that even really old iPhones support. However, Windows seems completely unable to take advantage of the same technology. My request is to figure out how to get Windows to work with my hearing aids - Google and Apple already support the necessary protocols, why doesn't Microsoft?

FCC forced iPhones and Android phones to be compatible with hearing aids.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202186

Windows and Apple desktop and laptop computers are not wireless phones and are not covered by the FCC regulation. Therefore even Apple desktop and laptop computers are not compatible with "Made for iPhone" hearing aids. Notice Apple computers are not listed anywhere.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201466

Buy a Jabra TV streamer if you want to stream audio to your hearing aids.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FCC forced iPhones and Android phones to be compatible with hearing aids.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202186

Windows and Apple desktop and laptop computers are not wireless phones and are not covered by the FCC regulation. Therefore even Apple desktop and laptop computers are not compatible with "Made for iPhone" hearing aids. Notice Apple computers are not listed anywhere.

Ah, thanks, that does help clarify things quite a bit, much appreciated.

So the original subject is about trying to get Windows 10 to work with my hearing aids. You suggest a Jabra TV Streamer, which sounds like it might do the trick. However, for $200 I could just buy another phone, and seems like a very excessive price for the small task that it (Tv Streamer) does. I am still searching for a way to get Windows to talk directly to my hearing aids.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Read the bottom of the first link I posted --- they are proprietary bridge accessories. That's why it's expensive.

An audiologist also confirm that Resound GN TV streamer (which GN bought Jabra) doesn't use Bluetooth to stream audio to the hearing aids but to use a proprietary method.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/google-chromecast-black/4397400/question/64374687-e4c5-3166-b12c-33d198af3fad

Outside the mandated FCC wireless phone requirement, everything else is proprietary.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 4,730 Applies to: