How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.

On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.

My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old settings, apps, or files. The settings and apps are all I really care about bridging over, transferring the basic media files is trivial.

When I boot from my Windows USB, I enter recovery mode, select troubleshooting, advanced options, and and the option to restore from a system image. I select the new SSD's Windows as the "target" system, and select the backup, EFI filesystem, etc. to be restored.

I leave "Format and repartition other disks" unchecked.

Some time passes, the restore appears to complete with no problems, and system restarts.

When I boot up BIOS, the new SSD doesn't say "Windows Boot Manager" like the old SSD does. So I boot to the old SSD's Windows Boot Manager, and it presents me with my two different Windows installs, like I'd expect. When I select the new SSD's Windows, nothing has changed. Nothing was restored to it. It seems like it just keeps restoring to the old SSD, despite me selecting the new SSD as the target disk.

I still have my old Windows intact, so I haven't lost anything, but what is the problem here? What am I doing incorrectly? What are some alternatives for doing this?

I would like to avoid paid third party software here, it is not necessary to use for a system restore.

Edit: I had originally tried cloning the old SSD to the new one, but this presented issues. Selecting the new M.2's Windows Boot Manager from BIOS kept booting me to my old SSD's Windows. I'm certain it was doing this, because I could tell that the old SSD was the active drive C: drive based on the volume's size.

Maybe both of these can be resolved if I just nuke my old SSD's Windows and leave the system image of it on an old HDD (like it is now), just in case. But if this doesn't work properly like the two things listed above, it feels like it'll be another day or two worth of attempts just to try and get something to work.

Answer
Answer
Ryan -

I have never seen Macrium fail before in thousands of cases where I've referred it.

The instructions are to unplug the old SSD to boot the new one, if it cannot boot then run the bootable Rescue Media Boot Corrector which always works: https://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle5016...

If not then boot into Windows 10 media to do a Startup Repair on the clone.

Here is a video for cloning to M.2 SSD using free Macrium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHCENfs87F4

If this doesn't work then unplug the old drive and do this gold standard Clean Install which includes everything that works best in Windows 10: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Make sure during the booted install to follow the illustrated steps to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, then click Next to let it auto-create the needed partitions, format them and begin install - this makes it foolproof.

Afterwards plug in your other drive to copy over the files, which hopefully are also backed up on the other drive. You can also mount the Macrium image in the Macrium program to extract files, or mount the WIndows image as shown here:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61391-vhd-v...

Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Glad to hear it, Ryan. Nice work.

With UEFI the Windows Boot Manager should remain set in BIOS Boot Priority first to boot and will normally sort out the bootable drives. If more than one UEFI install it may have more than one WBM with the drive denoted, depending on the BIOS

With Legacy/CSM BIOS the Windows SSD/HDD needs to be set first to boot.
As to the old SSD, as long as it's booting Linux I'd just ignore the old Windows Boot manager for that drive, making sure it stays set further down the BIOS Boot Priority list. If you delete it per instructions for your BIOS, it might somehow affect GRUB. I think you'll have to wait until you reinstall on that drive, then make sure you wipe all partitions off to make WBM go away.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2023 Views 5,506 Applies to: