How to display the current outdoor temperature in an icon in the notification area of the taskbar on Windows 10?

Hi All-- 

For those asking for a method (App or otherwise) in Win10 to display the outdoor temperature on the task bar in Win10, please ignore the repeated instructions of various MS employees to right click and Pin the Weather Application to the task bar. This only allows pinning the Weather app down there; a user still needs to open the app to view the temperature. This does not allow a direct view of the outside temperature in the task bar. It just shows a "dumb sun icon".

The functionality I describe was available in Windows 7, using 3rd party weather software. It was customizable, and worked well. Unfortunately, my weather program got uninstalled during my upgrade to Win10, as MS claimed the software was not compatible.

Good news, however: recently on these message boards, Loopy-Norma posted this link:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather-apps

If you click on the Windows 7 for PC app, you can download, install and run it on Windows 10 no problem. It constantly displays one or more outdoor temperatures in icons in the "notification area" of the taskbar on Windows 10 (after you select display of any weathereye.exe notification instances in "Task bar settings".)

Besides showing multiple current temperatures, if there are any severe weather warnings, they show in the form of a lightning bolt.

Does anyone have alternative weather apps similar to theweathernetwork.com? Are they better or worse? Please post here so we can share our findings...

Best,

--Keith
@KeithDPatch

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I found one app that works great, except...

The temp only displays for about 20-30 seconds and disappears. This has a setting to control update frequency, but it can't be set below 30 minutes. I couldn't find any way of setting a constant display.

Taskbar Weather App

I'm getting older and my equipment is getting smaller

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi span-unit--

Given the 2015 date on Taskbar Weather App, I'm not surprised that it has problems in Windows 10.

Maybe they'll update it sometime soon. It does look like it has a good feature set.

Thanks,

--Keith

@KeithDPatch

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Keith,

I just installed the weather app you posted from Loopy-Norma - looks great. Only difficulty I had was adding my location via zip code. Kept linking it to the wrong city. When I added it by City, State it worked fine.

Thanks for the tip!

span-unit

I'm getting older and my equipment is getting smaller

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi span-unit--

I'm glad you got it working. 

Best,

--Keith

@KeithDPatch

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 46,981 Applies to: