How to disable "Do you want to open this file? Forever and always for everything.

For over a decade I have been bothered by a popup that asks "Do you want to open this file?" when I click on something I downloaded  For over a decade, I have not once clicked no.  Yes, I want to open it. That is why I downloaded the @#$%^& thing.

I never want to see that popup again. Not for files I downloaded a minute ago. Not for files I downloaded years ago.

Please, just make it go away. :-(

Hi Jive,

The Open File- Security Warning is a security measure put on any computers. This is placed to warn you of any potential attacks on your Windows system. It is not advisable to disable it. Disabling the security warning means you are giving your device a chance to be attacked by viruses or malware.

If you really want to remove the security warning, you may try these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel.
  2. Locate Security and Maintenance.
  3. Select Security.
  4. Click Change settings under Windows SmartScreen, turn it off.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Perhaps I did not make my intentions clear. When I wrote, "I never want to see that popup again," what I meant was popup see never want I again, and I mean it.

There is n "Security and Maintenance" on the Windows 7 Control Panel.  I found out how to use regedit.exe or gpedit.msc to tell browsers not to tag downloads.  Chrome complies.  Automatically cleaning up all the files that have already been tagged requires
an app that Windows does no provide.  I found a good one on the net. I am going post a summary with pointers to where I found the info when I have the time.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your quick response.

It seems you were able to resolve the issue, is that correct? You can share your ideas on how you were able to resolve it here in the Microsoft Community, if possible.

Looking forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2024 Views 6,556 Applies to: