How to delete a user account on my computer.

I would like to delete a user account on MY computer and don't know how to.  The account has a password and I don't want to have to ask the person for his password.  He no longer reside at my home.  I feel that my computer's performance will increase greatly if I do this as there are things stored there thats taking up room on my computer and it's not being used.  Appreciate your help.
Answer
Answer

Hi momoftwo_,

When you delete a user account, you can choose whether you want to keep the files created under that account; however, e-mail messages and computer settings for the account will be deleted.

a)   Open User Accounts by clicking the  Start button, clicking  Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, clicking  User Accounts, and then clicking  Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b)   Click the account you want to delete, and then click  Delete the account.

c)    Decide if you want to keep or delete the files created under the account by clicking  Keep Files or Delete Files.

d)   Click Delete Account.

If you want to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your hard disk to free up disk space and help your computer run faster, use Disk Cleanup. It removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes a variety of system files and other items that you no longer need.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Delete-files-using-Disk-Cleanup

Hope this helps!

Halima S   - Microsoft Support.

Visit our  Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 20, 2024 Views 9,562 Applies to: