How to create Windows 8.1 with Bing installation media?

The following Microsoft's web page allows me to legally download Windows 8.1 installation media.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 with Bing (referred to as Bing from now on), but installing Windows 10 Preview messed up the recovery partition. So I cannot reset my laptop to the factory default (Bing). My laptop did not come with any external recovery media such as a DVD or USB flash drive. The manufacturer does not allow me to download the recovery partition either.

As far as I know, the product key for Bing is embedded in the bios of my laptop, so I think it should be legal that I use an installation media downloaded from Microsoft. But the problem is, when I executed Windows Installation Media Creation Tool, I could not find Bing. The closest thing was Windows 8.1 (this should be the Core Edition which is functionally the same as Bing).

The tool says about 4 hours left. So I am not sure whether the media would automatically detect Bing. Is there any official way to create a media for Bing?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

go here. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

When creating the media select English as a language and then select 8.1 single language version. This is also known as windows 8.1 with Bing. 

Then create your ISO

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

there is no way to create recovery media with bing machines. you should know that.  

the only way to go is to clone the drive before it fails, because with the win  8.1 bing edition, if you realise your drive is dying there is no way to instal to a new drive.  

Its just Microsoft and the makers keeping us poor. dead hdd = dead machine. 

thats the way I figure it.  My asus drive is dying and there is no way to recover.  No downloaded version of 8.1 works .  and the MS site says contact maker, and asus are useless as they abide with what they were ordered to do by MS ie dont help the customer. 

Im going back to Linux and OSX on a win box. 

bye bye MS you suck

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

that DOES NOT WORK FOR WINDOWS 8.1 BING EDITION.  IT IS A SPECIFIC EDITION WHICH IS EXCLUDED FROM ANY OF THE DOWNLOADABLE ISOs. it does not work, with Win 8.1 bing, 

there are win 8.1, win 8.1 n win8.1 pro.  and then there is win 8.1 bing edition. 

of these the ONLY one which cannot be reinstalled from download iso with media creation tool is win 8.1 bing.  and going to win 10 does not help. because that becomes win 10 bing edition.  

the makers dont help, even though on the download page at the ms site, ms explains the method does not work with win 8,10  and to contact the maker of the machine. 

when you do , asus says see microsoft.  Ive tried it. 

you cant get installersfrom asus.  

and the ms wont work with win 8, 10, bingedition.

if you are poor and have to buy a win .bing edition machine, then you are DENIED the ability to make install media.NONE COME WITH THE MACHINE. 

If you are rich and can afford a decent non bing edition machine, you can dowload and install win 8 , 10 as often as you like. 

the answer is to clone you win 8.10bing edition machine BEFORE IT DIES, BECAUSE MICROSOFT AND THE MAKERS DO NOT GIVE A STUFF ABOUT PEOPLE WHO BUY WIN 8,10 BING EDITION BASED MACHINES.  

Paul Langley

South Australila

Boycott MS and any maker who installs win 8,10 bing edition as it is inequitable, unfair and results in a machine not fit for purpose when the hard drive dies.  Unless you clone first or know someone who can fix it which a shonky licence key. 

go linux or hackintosh, give ms the flick. this is the LAST STRAW FOR THIS LITTLE BLACK DUCK. no consumer or local expert I know knew about win 8, 10, bing edition till I gave em my machine to fit a new hard drive to. AND NO ONE COULD DO IT, EVEN THOUGH THE KEY IS IN THE BIOS!!!!!

GET LOST MS  WHAT A SUCKER I WAS win8, 10 bing edition is ILLEGAL, IT IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Joyeybody 553 is not very familiar with microsoft. Here's the MS reinstall media how to page link: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

and here is what it says about Bing edition windows 8 :  (and that is how it appear on the win 8.1 machine I have on the PC characteristics page : Windows 8.1 64 bit bing edition.  (as opposed to plain 8.1, 8.1 n or 8.1 pro.  win 8.1 with bing edition is a specific edition noone - the maker nor MS talk about.  the machines are labelled 8.1 with no warning of the unfit for purpose of the install. 

heres what the MS page says: 

Notes

• If you're running Windows 8, we recommend that you first try to use the Windows Store to install Windows 8.1. For answers to some common questions about installing Windows 8.1, see Update to Windows 8.1: FAQ.

• If you’re not running Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, you’ll need to enter a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key. You'll also need a product key if you're running Windows 8 and trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro. To learn how to buyWindows 8.1 to get a product key, go to the Get Windows page.

• If you're running Windows Vista or Windows XP, see Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP.

• If you're running Windows 8.1 with Bing, contact your device manufacturer for info on how to get installation media for your edition of Windows.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you got that:  If you're running Windows 8.1 with Bing, contact your device manufacturer for info on how to get installation media for your edition of Windows.

and Asus, on instruction from MS WILL NOT ISSUE REINSTALL MEDIA TO OWNERS OF WIN 8.1 WITH BING EDITION INSTALLS OEM.  FACT.   IF ANYONE CAN GET REINSTALL MEDIA FROM MS (WHO Are the OWNERS  of the os ) or ASUS  TO ISSUE REINSTALL MEDIA IN THE BOX, ILL EAT MY HAT.  

'

meanwhile my bing edition machine just refused to boot ubuntu.  Next Im trying OSX iAtkos. 

again, this is the last windows machine I EVER BUY NEW.  sucks.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am stuck in this silly situation where I can't use my machine after repartitioning it.

If you delete your recovery partition you are stuck.

My windows 10 upgrade failed, and i am stuck with nothing.

Come on Microsoft there has to be a better answer than "contact your manufacturer"

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Paul,

Me being a Linux guy for almost 20 years, I've bought my first Windows machine with Windows 8.1 with Bing 64-bit just a half year ago. And I did it only after I'd found a couple of articles and compiled a procedure to install Linux Mint on it (Mint is Ubuntu-compatible, sort of). Even that was hard decision for me, because I'm more of openSUSE or RedHat/Fedora centric...

The issue with it was that the laptop was using EFI to boot and that was required to dual-boot Windows too. Now I reconsidered it and I'm going to dump Windows with Bing, change booting method from EFI to the old regular BIOS one and install a Linux of my choice without any problems. I'll be using Windows in VirtualBox as I have boxed Windows license too.

The point of my story being--get rid of EFI (go to BIOS and change booting method) if you cannot boot your favourite OS. Or explore how your favourite OS plays with EFI, as far as I am aware, 32-bit Linux and EFI do not get along well.

Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've found myself in the same situation. I purchased an Asus vivotab note 8 with windows 8.1 32bit with bing, and my daughter upgraded to windows 10. After 2 months she decided she would rather stick with 8.1 and rolled back. Here's where the issue starts, after the rollback the file Winre.wim was either deleted or moved by the process and now when we need to restore the system we get "the recovery environment is missing". So I signup (thanks for junk mail btw) for the windows 8.1 enterprise edition download so I could mount the image and pull the 32bit winre.wim off that..... No go, the restore takes us to bootup, and then a bright blue screen explaining that a 64bit os wont work basically... I downloaded the x86 iso..... so I assume the winRE.wim is different for the bing editions as well.

Seriously, this is ridiculous. My restore partition is still there, unmolested I might add, and I simply can not get the RE to use it to restore the system. Now Asus wants me to pay shipping to them and back for an update microsoft put out that seems to have issues with OEM distros....  Wonder if I can get 'droid installed on this thing.     (o.0)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,  send me an email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** I found a way to fix this kind of issue without paying Assus! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

is it work in Intel Compute Stick ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 25, 2024 Views 63,518 Applies to: