How to: contact Microsoft Phone-based Technical Support

Original title: phone number needed.......

....... to actually talk to a MS tech. Tried everything and can't update  my security updfates. I'm 38 overdue.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You may try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I would suggest you to Reset Windows Update Components and check if it helps.

Microsoft has released a new "Fix it" solution that should automatically solve your problems with Windows Update.  Just click the link below and follow the instructions.
How do I reset Windows Update components?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number.

If this doesn’t work, then you may go ahead and perform a repair installation of Windows.

Method 2:

An In-place upgrade or repair installation is the final alternative before you have to reinstall the operating system.

Note that it takes the same amount of time to do the upgrade as to reinstall the operating system. In addition, some of your customized Windows settings may be lost through this process.

Performing a repair installation will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the installation DVD.

Note: Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

Please refer to the link to perform an In-Place Upgrade. How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note:
You may backup data on an external hard disk and not CDs. It is critical to backup data even if you are doing an in-place upgrade.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 27, 2022 Views 1,298 Applies to: