How to Connect Old IPod to Windows 10 (when nothing else works)

I've spent days trying to get my iPod to connect to my new Windows 10 Dell desktop. It would not show up under devices therefore would not show in iTunes. I did everything people suggested and nothing worked. I finally found the fix! Hopefully this works for those of you in the same situation.  

HOW TO FIX IT

1. Turn off computer. 
    Plug your iPod into a usb. 
  2. Reset your iPod. (It should not lose anything. Mine didn't... but no promises. To reset it do the following: Move the button on top of your iPod to the HOLD position. Then move it back the other way to "on".
  3. Press and hold the center button AND the top menu button at the SAME TIME for 6 seconds. (It will restart the ipod)
  4. Start your computer with the iPod still connected. It should auto install the drive behind the scenes. While doing this the iPod screen should show "do not unplug". 
  5. Open iTunes. It should now be there! 
  6. IMPORTANT: Remember to eject your iPod from iTunes and ALSO right click on the USB icon in your system tray  to eject the iPod there under 'safety remove hardware."  Do this EVERY TIME from now on. 

FYI: When I tried to sync my iPod after doing the above, it would not do anything. I had to do the "reset iPod" button on the iTunes page. This resets and reboots it and when it comes back it lets you set it up again from scratch. I had all my playlists in iTunes so it was no big deal.

Nancy Rector

"Creativity for Life!"

www.craftyourhappiness.com

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 7,656 Applies to: