How to completely avoid Preview Updates?

Today I clicked Check for updates and, surprisingly, Windows update installed the following preview update, despite the fact that I set up everything I knew about to avoid these kinds of preview/beta updates.

How can I make sure something like this does not happen in the future?

Update in question:

July 21, 2020 KB4562900 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10, version 1909

My setup:

Windows 1909 Pro

- Local Windows account only. (Never login to an online Microsoft account on Windows)

- Not part of the Insider program

Group Policy (GPEdit)

Select when Feature Updates are received, ENABLED, Semi-Annual, defer for 365 days.

Select the target feature update version: 1909

"Notify for download and auto install"

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I also encountered a similar issue.

Configuration:

• Windows 10 Pro 1909
  • Windows Update configured with the Group Policy of "Configure Automatic Updates" set to "2 - Notify for download and auto install" (Registry settings for AUOptions reflect that - they also have value 2)
  • Quality updates defer: 0 days - think this is not needed because of the policy configuration

Steps:

• Hit the "Download" button to apply the 2020-07 Cumulative updates which were being offered for quite some weeks (but which the above-mentioned group policy prevented their automatic installation, giving me the control)
  • Updates were successfully installed, and after the reboot, I opened Windows Update again and clicked on the "Check for updates" button to see if anything new is available now.
  • It was now that the "2020-07 Cumulative Update Preview For .NET bla bla (KB4562900) began downloading and installing **without** any Download prompt, **as I would have expected** because of having the group policy configured as described above.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue with windows 10 pro for workstations v2004.  'Preview' (i.e. non-final release) updates should not automatically install on workstation / production operating systems simply by clicking 'check for updates' in windows update.  The account/machine is not part of the insider program and I'm the only user on the system.  'September 3, 2020-KB4570721 Cumulative Update Preview' did this to me today.

I've checked the windows insider preview portal and my account is not part of the program, nor do I have the 'Windows Insider Program' pane in Settings.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

These *may* help. The first link sets the "why", with the second possibly setting up the "how to stop". I don't have a machine handy in the right state to see if it will work, however. Please post here if someone has something in the right state to test. Time and a new "preview" release will tell (for a new .Net update it appears).

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3568351/windows-update-is-a-bifurcated-mess.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63585-enable-disable-insider-build-settings-windows-10-a.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63585-enable-disable-insider-build-settings-windows-10-a.html

Thanks.  I am on 20H2, and never joined the insider program (and the pane regarding the insider program is thus not available to me), yet have been getting the monthly preview .NET update forced upon me when checking for updates, but not the cumulative update preview (which behaves as it should, an optional download that requires additional steps to apply).

I followed the steps in ' 5. To Disable Windows Insider Program Build Settings for Version 1709 and later'.  Oddly enough, you have to flip the State to 'Enabled' in order to 'Disable preview builds'.  Hopefully, this ends the problem.  For good measure, I went ahead an uninstalled KB4586876 (the .net preview that came down yesterday), we will see if it tries to reapply itself...

UPDATE:  The .NET preview update KB4586876 reapplied itself upon restart and check for updates, so option 5 didn't work...

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here after uninstalling it, but since it was installed before, it may effect the results, so I didn't want to claim a real test of it. I'm hoping someone out there has access to a machine that hasn't installed it yet. (I should keep a snapshot of a VM daily or the like for testing things like this, but I'd not gone there beforehand.)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would also be nice if Microsoft support would chime in on this...

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Win10 Pro 20H2 completely ignored the "Notifiy for download and auto install" policy and that was after I manually uninstalled that exact same update.

Microsoft, please!

I know you have to test your updates somewhere but that is too much. There are two things you need to fix:

1. "Check for updates" means just that. Check. Do not install updates and much less with a "Notifiy for download and auto install" policy configured.

2. Add a setting or policy to control preview updates. Even final updates, you know, those that are not "preview", have a chance of messing things up. I don't want anything alpha and I don't want anything beta and I don't want anything preview anywhere near my workstations.

And now I will get back to my job with the satisfaction of having wasted two full hours of my time over an issue that wil never get fixed because Microsoft is, you know, Microsoft.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it is beyond annoying that group policy "Notify for download and auto install" practically has no effect.

Microsoft should rename "Check for updates" to "Install Whatever" or "I'm Feeling Lucky".

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it is beyond annoying that group policy "Notify for download and auto install" practically has no effect.

Microsoft should rename "Check for updates" to "Install Whatever" or "I'm Feeling Lucky".

"I'm Feeling Lucky"

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Today I clicked Check for updates and, surprisingly, Windows update installed the following preview update, despite the fact that I set up everything I knew about to avoid these kinds of preview/beta updates.

How can I make sure something like this does not happen in the future?

Update in question:

July 21, 2020 KB4562900 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 and Windows Server 1903 RTM and Windows 10, version 1909

My setup:

Windows 1909 Pro

- Local Windows account only. (Never login to an online Microsoft account on Windows)

- Not part of the Insider program

Group Policy (GPEdit)

Select when Feature Updates are received, ENABLED, Semi-Annual, defer for 365 days.

Select the target feature update version: 1909

"Notify for download and auto install"

I just now had exactly the same thing happen for me on a Windows Server 2019 production server.  I was applying the quarterly updates and did my final click on "Check for Updates" to see if anything else was left to install.   Instead of simply "checking" like the button said it automatically kicked off an installation of a .NET Preview Update with no way to kill or cancel it short of rebooting the server right in the middle of the update which might have been even worse than allow it to continue.

I had already set all the policies and registries to supposedly block Previews and up until today they seemed to be blocked them.

This has to stop.     Our live production servers are not test servers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2021 Views 7,305 Applies to: