How To Clean Install Windows 8.1 without product key

Hello.

I need to do a clean install of Windows 8.1 but I don't have a product key for Windows 8.

Just a product key for Windows 7 Home Premium for which I don't have any install media.

My upgrade path is as follows:

* Windows 7 Home Premium Pre Installed (product key on base, no install media)

* Online upgrade to Windows 8

* Online upgrade to Windows 8.1

System Information:

* Windows is activated

* Product Id present

Notes:

* When I run Belarc advisor I don't have Product Key

* I have install media (DVD) for Windows 8.
* Due to virus or some other problems (which is why I want to do a fresh install) I'm not connected to the net

* Running "Refresh Your PC without affecting your files" gets error: "Insert media. Some files are missing"

* Running "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" gets error: "Insert media. Some files are missing"

Thanks in advance for your help.

UPDATE

While some of the answers helped a lot. The real problem was that I thought my Product key didn't exist. I searched my emails and I used some of the Product Key extraction tools with no luck.

It turns out that Outlook (web) is not very good at searching ( I searched: "Windows 8 product key" ).

So the answer does not seem to match the title of the question but it helped solve my problem.

Answer
Answer
Is there any way to find out what the subject title of such an email is. Or the from address?

Look at your emails by date. Windows 8.0 was released on the 27th October 2012. I think the promotional deal lasted the first 6 months.

My email title was "Thanks for ordering Windows 8 (order # WDxxxxxxxx)" by "Microsoft Customer Service". The xxxxxxxx is unique to the order.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 97 Applies to: