How to change Windows 10 Gestures (3 finger swiping)

I just upgraded my Windows 7 Dell Inspiron Laptop to Windows 10.

I now have the Windows 10 three finger gestures on my touchpad that basically act as alt+tab (Swipe left/right: move between windows, Swipe up: task switch, Swipe down: minimize all windows and show the desktop)

I absolutely hate this!

In Windows 7, swiping up and down with 3 fingers allowed me to switch between tabs in my internet browser. And swiping left hit the "back button", and swiping right hit the "forward button" in the browser. I liked this! It was SUPER efficient and SUPER convenient. But, this has been overridden by the new Windows 10, 3 finger gestures.

Is there anyway to replace the new Windows 10 3 finger gestures with my old Windows 7 3 finger gestures?

I looked through all the settings and "additional mouse settings" and "touchpad settings" but I haven't found a way to change it. 

Again, is there a way to change my Windows 10 3 finger gestures back to the way they were in Windows 7?

Hello Alex,

We understand your requirement in this regard.

From the description, I suspect that the problem might be with the touch pad drivers or might be with the touch pad settings. I mean to say, problem with the Multi-finger Sensing that which enables advanced gestures such as pinch and zoom, 3-finger flick, and more. Suggest you to cross check with the touch pad settings to ensure that everything is set correctly. Do refer the article Keyboard, touchpad, or mouse not working correctly designed by official dell support team.

Sometimes problem with the incompatible touchpad drivers causes this kind of behavior. You may update the Touch Pad driver through Device Manager manually and check if this helps.

1. Open run command by pressing Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) and hit Enter.

2. Spot and expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” by clicking + sign in front of Mouse and other pointing devices.

3. Right-click the device driver listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select “Update Driver Software”. When it prompts to choose an option How do you want to search driver, then go with Search automatically for updated driver software. If you have a driver available on your PC, then select Browse my computer for driver software, then select the appropriate location, where the driver located on your PC for updating it. (Ensure that PC is connected to Internet while performing this step)

4. If it doesn't fix the issue then right-click the same device driver listed below Mouse and other pointing devices and select Uninstall.

5. Click OK to confirm removal of the device.

6. Restart the system. Windows will detect and automatically install the touchpad driver.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, thank you for your reply, but it didn't help. Everything is still the same.

I'm not having at issue with the touchpad itself. Nor do I think the issue is with the drivers. Rather, the default settings of the touchpad were automatically changed when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

Let me restate my problem:

The 3 finger gestures that are available in Windows 7 are different from the 3 finger gestures that are available in Windows 10. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I want my original 3 finger gesture capabilities back.

These are what the gesture options look like now, in Windows 10. See the highlighted portion? THAT is what's different. In Windows 7, the "Three Fingers Swip" had completely different functions. In other words, the "Three Fingers Swip" did something completely different in Windows 7. It allowed me to switch back and forth between open tabs in my web browser by swiping up and down with 3 fingers. Similar to what "ctrl+tab" or "ctrl+shift+tab" does now.

So, my question is, how do I get the Windows 7 "Three Fingers Swip" functionality that I described back, instead of having the Windows 10 "Three Fingers Swip" functionality that is show in the picture above? Maybe there are Windows 7 touchpad drivers I can download, or something? Tell me if this problem makes sense to you. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also looking for a way to make the Three Finger Swipe perform the navigate forward/back functions. This worked well in Windows 8.1, but no longer works after upgrading to Windows 10.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also looking for a way to make the Three Finger Swipe perform the navigate forward/back functions. This worked well in Windows 8.1, but no longer works after upgrading to Windows 10.

Yeah man same! Haven't found anything yet. If I do I'll post back here though. Please do the same, would really like to get this back haha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good luck.  I tried and tried and complained to Microsoft to no avail.  Someone at Microsoft decided that they did not want to have the same gestures as Apple, so they had to change that functionality, despite the fact that uses had become accustomed to it.  The really stupid part is that people spend more time navigating back and forward in websites than they do switching apps.  How hard is it to find an app on the taskbar anyway?  This has been a frustration for many since Windows 10 launched, but as I said, they refuse to change it or even give us an option to change it.  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, that's just retarded. You spend 1% of your time switching between apps and 99% switching between browser tabs. Thanks for the update man. I'll let you know if I find a solution...

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree.  I don't understand this.  It will literally reduce sales of Windows-based laptops.  I've found registry hacks from 2015 posts but am reluctant to use them.  
Nick

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 19, 2023 Views 15,587 Applies to: