How to change the name of connections in network and sharing center.

In win 10, my connections in Network and Sharing Center are getting renamed to Ethernet 1, and wifi 2. How to I rename them? Please note I have gone into regedit but haven't been able to change the names that are appearing in connections.

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Click/tap on Network List Manager Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

4. In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on the network name (ex: Brink-Router2) you want to change. (see screenshot above)

5. Select (dot) Name under the Name section, type a new name you want for the network profile, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Local Security Policy if you like.

7. Sometimes you may need to sign out and in to fully apply the new network profile name.

Please post back if you need further assistance, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Your answer allows me to change the network names but i want to change the "connections:" name.

looking on the network and sharing center I see the view your active networks:

as an example.

helpless

Private network

access type: Internet

Homegroup: Joined

connections: Ethernet 1

I want to change the name that appears after connections which in this case is Ethernet 1

I want to change it to Ethernet but I get the message:

Cannot rename this connection. A connection with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different name.

I hope you can help me with the issue.

I did like your answer as it allowed me to give myself permission to name the network.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Hi,

I'm curious why you would agree with the answer when the answer doesn't address the question. I am the person asking the question. This reply doesn't change the issue I want to change.

I believe I will have to find and delete the prior names of connections so that I can name the connection without getting an error message that a connection exists with that name. 

I believe I have to use a dos command line to do it. I just don't remember how to do it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps below:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Click/tap on Network List Manager Policies in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

4. In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on the network name (ex: Brink-Router2) you want to change. (see screenshot above)

5. Select (dot) Name under the Name section, type a new name you want for the network profile, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)

6. When finished, you can close Local Security Policy if you like.

7. Sometimes you may need to sign out and in to fully apply the new network profile name.

Please post back if you need further assistance, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

This ONLY applies to Window 10 Pro, as Windows 10 Home does not support the Policy Editor, and being from Microsoft you should know this, are all Microsoft Support Staff really this stupid?

Regards

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

GOTO:

Network and Sharing Center / Change adapter settings

Right-Click on the Network Connection you wish to rename and select "RENAME" and your done

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 7,784 Applies to: