How to change the font on Windows 10 desktop icons

I have Windows 10 Home Version 1909.  Somehow the desktop icon font changed from solid black to white letters   I'm new to Windows 10 so I obviously did something in trying to personalize a new PC, but how can I change the font back to solid black lettering?  Please, my old eyes just don't work with the ghostly white font.

Joan

|
Hi OceanJoan,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor, an expert with Windows 10 and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand your concern about desktop font colors.

Desktop font colors actually vary depending on the desktop background that you have. If your desktop background is a dominant light-colored image, your desktop font would be black, and if it's a dominant dark-colored image, your desktop font would be white. Let's try this one. Kindly change first your desktop background to a solid color like yellow or orange and then check first your font colors. If the font colors are okay, try to change your desktop background to a picture of your choice.
Try to follow the steps on this link on how to change the desktop background to a solid color. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17144/...

I hope the information I provided will help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,
Wilfred P.
Independent Advisor

8 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My background is a teal solid color.  I've made it very light but the icon font is still white letters outlined in black.  What now?

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joan. Can you please send me a screenshot of your desktop so I can examine it better.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, it took awhile to learn how to save a print screen on windows 10.  

Hi Joan. Can you please send me a screenshot of your desktop so I can examine it better.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joan,

Based on the screenshot that you provided, there's a shadow on your Windows 10 Desktop fonts. Try the instruction on this link. https://www.top-password.com/blog/remove-shadow...

Thanks,
Wilfred P.
Independent Advisor

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

No luck,even though I tried it several times and tried it with different backgrounds.  I even found a couple other suggestions from the Community's earlier postings about drop shadows and they didn't work either.   I know I'm frustrated and you must be, too.  I really appreciate the work you've put into finding a solution.  I didn't try the Windows registry suggestion because I have no idea of what damage I can do by hitting a wrong button.  I'm relatively proficient with PCs but when you used "hacking" I'm by no means hacking proficient.  :)

Joan

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

The Windows registry is not really hacking the system. It is just changing a some settings that is not readily available in Windows settings and control panel. Anyway, as a workaround you may try to use dark wallpapers or a solid black wallpaper to try and negate the shadow effect of the desktop fonts. I know that it is not a complete solution but you can choose that option as a workaround.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, Wil.  Nothing seems to work other than making the wallpaper very dark so the shadow effect isn't as noticeable. White test isn't friendlyu to older eyes, but guess Microsoft isn't willing to drop the shadow effect as the default.  I sure appreciate all of your research for me.

Hope you're taking care of yourself with the COVID-19.

Joan

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

You are very much welcome Joan and I do apologize if we weren't able to resolve it. For now, try to use a black or dark background to make the shadow effect less noticeable. Anyway, stay safe as well from the virus. Bye for now

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2021 Views 10,423 Applies to: