How to change the boot device in Windows 10.

Original title: Flashing screen, progress circle, can't log in

I have a Dell Precision M6600 with an NVIDIA graphics card.  I booted off the original Windows 7 DVD and noticed that system configuration was changed.  The SSD is now the boot disk and the HDD where Windows 7 was installed is now drive E.  Wasn't able to change the boot device and start from the HDD.  Any ideas?

|

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

1. Are you currently on Windows 7 operating system?

2. Did you change the boot option from system settings?

You can change the boot options from the system settings window by following the steps below:

1. Open run command by pressing Windows key + R keys on the keyboard, type msconfig and press Enter.

2. Click on Boot tab from the window and check if OS installed drives are displayed.

3. Click on the operating system you want to boot from and click on Set as default.

4. Click on Apply and OK.

5. Close the window, reboot the PC and check if the issue is resolved.

Write back to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Please see my reply below:

1- No.  At startup the Windows 10 logo shows but I can't log in.  

2- No.  Since I can't log in, I tried to change the boot option from the BIOS settings.

I have a flashing blue screen with the progress circle in the center. The only thing that is partially working is display switching.

Fereydoon

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Ferey,

Thank you for replying with the answers and the status of the issue.

Since you have flashing blue screen, I suggest you to remove all the external devices connected to your PC except for mouse and keyboard and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to check if similar issue persists in Safe mode.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Restart the PC to exit from Safe mode and start the computer in normal mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Note: Steps given in the above articles for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 also.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems that I didn't explain myself.  I could not log into the computer.  I could not get into Safe mode because I could not get to the sign in screen!  Apparently you can't get into Safe mode by pressing F8 as before.  If you don't see the sign in screen you are done!

This has been very disappointing and a huge waste of my time. 

I had to reinstall Windows 7 from Scratch.

My computer was supposedly compatible as indicated by the compatibility test!

To put it mildly it is very irresponsible of Microsoft to push everyone to install Windows 7.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Ferey,

Thank you for replying to us with the detailed description of the query.

Please reply:

1. What is the error message/error code you get when you try to login?

I suggest you to perform Automatic Repair by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

Automatic Repair tool automates common diagnostic and repair tasks for startup issues like non-bootable operating system installations. Automatic repair starts the PC in the normal manner if the booting fails. Automatic repair can be done from the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) window of the PC.

1. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12. The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.

2. Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.

3. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text Press any key to boot from CD or DVD. Press any key.

4. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

5. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner

6. Click on Troubleshooting> Advanced option > Automatic repair.

Write back to us with the answer to the above question and the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 13, 2021 Views 98,057 Applies to: