How to change settings of which device is plugged into audio jack?

Whenever I plugged in my earphones, the notification would pop saying "You just plugged a device into the audio jack" With this, a window would pop up saying what kind of device I had plugged in and would give out the options: headphones, earphones, headphones with microphone, etc. 

I clicked on headphones with microphone and ticked the box "don't show this message again". But now, whenever I Skype with someone, they can hear the videos and music I'm listening too even with my earphones plugged in.

How do I change the device from headset with microphone to just earphones? How can I make this pop up window open up again whenever I plug something into the audio jack? How can I change the settings?

Here's a picture as an example to what kind of pop up window I'm talking about:

http://fud.community.services.suppor...b-2a64e0f07a98
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. Let me help you.

The issue could occur if some system files is corrupt or it could be due to a software conflicts.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set sound device or mic as default and check if it helps.

To set desired Sound device or Mic as default,

* Go to system tray, right click on the Speaker Icon and select Playback devices, then a new window will open up.
* In the new windows click on the " Playback” tab and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.

* Click and highlight the headphone you want to set default and click on "Set Default".

* Click Apply and OK. Now see if it works fine.

Method 2:

With regard to pop window, you need to undo this changes by doing registry changes. Instead I suggest you to go for a system restore.

If an unwanted changes or any app or update that you recently installed caused problems with your PC, you can restore Windows back to an earlier point in time, called a restore point. System Restore doesn’t change your personal files, but it might remove recently installed apps, drivers and restore settings to default as per earlier.

Note: Windows automatically creates a restore point when you install desktop apps and new Windows updates, if the last restore point is older than 7 days. You can also create a restore point manually at any time.

To restore your PC to an earlier point in time

* Press Windows Key + R to open run command

* Type rstrui and hit Enter key.

* Select Recommended Restore or any other restore point and click Next

* Follow the instructions to restore your PC to earlier.

I hope this post helps. Do get back to us with the results if the issues still persist. We'll be glad to assist you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 18,281 Applies to: