How to Change my Default Photo Viewer on Windows 10?

Dear Microsoft Community,

Hello. For a while now I have been trying to change my default photo viewer to "Microsoft Photo Viewer." 

I really enjoy it more than the default "Photos" for Windows 10.

However, if I click on the properties of a photo on my files and try to change the default photo viewer, I cannot select it "Microsoft Photo Viewer" from the default apps that open up.

I know my computer has the "Microsoft Photo Viewer" installed because some rare photo formats (like .tif) open with this software. Unfortunately, for all of my other photos, the "Photos" app is the default one selected. I want to change that.

Does anyone know how I can choose Microsoft Photo viewer to open any or all of my image formats?

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it!

Jorge Cuello Espinosa

Answer
Answer
Hi Jorge

The old Photo viewer is still in Windows 10, it is just hidden

Click the link below, then go to Option 1 on that page

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/14312-resto...

On that page trusted MVP Shawn Brink provides a reg file to restore the old Photo Viewer to the menus in Windows 10

Download that reg file, right click the file and choose 'Merge' then confirm the merge

Once that is restored and you right click an image file, you should then be able to set that as the default to open image files . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 7,926 Applies to: