how to change forgot adminstrator password in windows 7 without a reset disk

hi this is prakash 

i am using windows 7 ultimate service pack 1 and i am the administrator

i forgot my login password.

i saw a viedo how to reset lost windows password but its not working its like this

(copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe

but here copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\ when i am typing its location not found ..........

please help me

Answer
Answer

Hi,

System Restore does not work to fix your Password problem if you forgot your Password, as you say you did.

I have included the information on where and how System Restore would work (for future reference), which does not apply in your circumstances.

If you have forgotten your Password:

"What to do if you forget your Windows password"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-to-do-if-you-forget-your-windows-password

"If you forget the administrator password and don't have a password reset disk or another administrator account, you won't be able to reset the password. If there are no other user accounts on the computer, you won't be able to log on to Windows and will need to re-install Windows."

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765

If you cannot log on to Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you can use the Windows Vista System Restore feature, or the Windows 7 System Restore feature.

You may be unable to log on to Windows Vista or Windows 7 in the following scenarios:

• Scenario 1: You recently set a new password for the protected administrator account. However, you do not remember the password.
  • Scenario 2: You type the correct logon password. However, Windows Vista or Windows 7 does not accept the password because the system is corrupted.
  • Scenario 3: You delete a protected administrator account. Now, you cannot log on to another administrator account.
  • Scenario 4: You change a protected administrator account to a standard user account. Now, you cannot log on to another administrator account.
To use System Restore to log on to Windows Vista or Windows 7 when you lose access to an account, follow these steps.

Note To do this, there must be a System Restore point at which the logon was successful.
  1. Insert the Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD, and then restart the computer.
  2. When you receive the following message, press any key:
    Press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
  3. Set the following preferences, and then click Next:
    • Language to install
    • Time and currency format
    • Keyboard or input method
  4. Click Repair your computer, select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  5. Click System Restore, and then click Next.
  6. Click the restore point that you want to use, and then click Next.

Note Click a restore point that will return the computer to a state where the logon is successful. After you use the System Restore feature, reinstall any programs or updates that may be removed. You will not lose any personal documents. However, you may have to reinstall programs. You may also have to reset some personal settings.
  7. Confirm the disks that you want to restore, and then click Next.
  8. Click Finish, and then click Yes when you are prompted.
  9. When the System Restore process is complete, click Restart to restart the computer.
  10. After the computer restarts, click Close to confirm that the System Restore process has finished successfully.
  11. Use an appropriate method to log on. For example, log on by using an older password, or log on by using another computer account.
  12. etc

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189126/en-us

Third-party password tools

Some third-party companies claim to be able to circumvent passwords that have been applied to files and features that Microsoft programs use. For legal reasons, we cannot recommend or endorse any one of these companies. If you want help to break or to reset a password, you can locate and contact a third-party company for this help. You use such third-party products and services at your own risk.

Microsoft forbids any assistance being given in these Forums to help you bypass or "crack" lost or forgotten Passwords.

Here is the Microsoft Information outlining that Policy:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/keeping-passwords-secure-microsoft-policy-on/39f56ef0-5d68-41ad-9daa-6e6019c25d37

To reinstall the Operating System:

You can contact your Computer Manufacturer and ask them to send you a set of Recovery Disks.

They should do that for a small cost.

And if you never received a Recovery Disk when you purchased your Computer there should be a Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive to reinstall Windows back to how you bought your Computer.

The Recovery process can be started by pressing a particular Key or Keys combination at Boot. (Power On / Startup)

It may be F10, F11, Alt + F10, etc depending on the Manufacturer.

Ask them for the correct Key sequence.

Cheers.

Bill Smithers - Microsoft MVP July 2013 - Dec 2020

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

i am using windows 7 ultimate service pack 1 and i am the administrator

i forgot my login password.

There are numerous options built into Windows to help you get out of this predicament:
  • Reboot the machine with your Windows Repair CD, then use System Restore to set Windows back by a few days (works only if you changed the password recently).
  • Log on under your spare admin account, then reset the password to your usual account (works only if you set up a spare admin account).
  • Log on as Administrator in Safe Mode, then reset the password to your usual account (the password is usually blank).
  • Use the password hint (works only if you created a hint and if it is good enough to let you guess the password)
  • Check your paper records (works only if you jotted down the password somewhere)
  • Ask your friendly computer dealer to reset the password for you
The method with sethc.exe works too but it is complex and requires many additional steps. Did you carefully go through with each of them?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 5, 2024 Views 3,984 Applies to: