How to change default mail account in Windows 8 Mail app

I have three email accounts which all have separate accounts in Windows Mail.

One at Outlook.com, one at Mail.com and one at Gmail.com.

When I originally created my Microsoft account to use with Windows 8, I set it up with the Outlook.com mail address. This has (naturally) become the default "can't change" mail address in the Mail App.

What I would like to do is to change the default mail account in the Mail app from Outlook.com to Mail.com.

These are the (unsuccessful) steps I have taken so far.

1. Add the mail.com email address to my Microsoft account and set it as thre Primary Alias.

2. Disconnected the Microsoft account from my computer under settings.

3. Logged on as a Local User

4. Re-connected the Microsoft account to the computer.

This still results in the outlook.com email account (although now renamed to mail.com but still containing all the outlook.com mail) still showing as the default mail account, although I now log on to my Microsoft account using the mail.com address.

Is there ANY way of doing this, or do I have to create an entirely new Microsoft account, in which case how do I then associate that new account with my current OneDrive which has 28GB of legacy storage instead of the current 15GB?

Hi Gordon,

When you login with Microsoft account, it will be set as the default mail account in mail app and you cannot change it. However, you can add the mail.com to the mail app to get the mails, updates.

I would suggest you to continue login with the account that has 28GB storage space and add mail.com to the mail app.

For more information to configure POP or IMAP accounts refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/pop-email-accounts

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/yahoo-imap

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/add-alias-account

Hope the information provided is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think you misunderstood the question.

I know how to add email accounts to Windows Mail - what I want to do is to CHANGE the default mail account  from the one currently associated with my Microsoft Account (outlook.com) to a different one.

Is this possible?

If not I suppose that I have to create a new Microsoft Account with the new email address.

If that is so, then can I move my 28GB of OneDrive storage to the new Microsoft account?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gordon,

Apologies for delay in response.

• Unfortunately, we won’t be able to change the e-mail address to a different e-mail address, you need to create a new user account.
  • Currently we do not have the option to merge or share the storage space between Microsoft two accounts. 

Even if you create a new user account, you would be able to access the user account with 28GB using the Internet Explorer.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2022 Views 1,519 Applies to: