How to adjust Windows 10 notifications volume

Since I upgraded to Windows 10, there's a new kind of notifications when I plug a USB device. These come with a sound. But the volume is not adjusted by the "System Sound" slider in the volume mixer like the old Windows 7 notifications used to be. How can I turn down the volume of the new Windows 10 notifications?

Question Info

Last updated September 10, 2019 Views 10,130 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I want the notifications. My question is how to adjust the volume of these notifications, not mute them. Your suggestion to disable the notifications doesn't answer the problem at all. I gave you a detailed step by step guide of how to reproduce the problem, what more do you want me to show you? Given that you persist in saying there's nothing new in Windows 10 it just shows you didn't follow my instructions. I also have a plain Windows 10 Pro installed from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft, and very common Realtek audio hardware, no OEM crapware installed.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

None of your screenshot show a Windows 10 notification. On my PC I have the "System Sounds" slider set just like in your pictures. Yes, when I click "play" in the "Sounds" tab of the old "Sound" control panel it is affected by the volume mixer. But when one of the new Windows 10 notifications pops up, it is always at full volume.

So here are the steps to reproduce. In your Sounds tab make sure you re-enable all the default sounds. Then set the "System Sounds" slider to 10% or less. Turn up the volume on your speakers so when you click on the slider you hear the ding very clearly. Now produce a notification.

Here is one way to produce a notification. Pick one of your USB devices (I would suggest your keyboard). Open the device manager (right click the start button). In the device manager, go the "Universal Serial Bus controllers", and select the "USB Composite Device" that corresponds to your device. Right click on it, select uninstall, click OK. Then unplug the device. Then replug it. Windows will generate two new-style notifications, one to say the device is being installed, one to say it's done. You'll hear the volume slider you changed had no impact on the volume of these notifications.

I just did your test with many different notifications that make sounds, even UAC dim desktop with the sound, I have 5.1 stereo speakers on PC that will blow you out of the house. I set my manual volume to 100 , the master volume on PC to 100 and set the system notifications volume to 5. And just as I said, they played all notification sounds very soft at the 5% volume level. So I do not know what to tell you. You have some sort of issue somewhere or a 3rd party app installed by OEM for sound and volume control.

Sorry this didn't help.

To adjust the notification volume in the first photo it showed on volume mixer the master volume and slider and the system sound volume and slider, just turn the slider to bottom on system sound slider and that should make system sound light.

Take Care Buddy. Best wishes!

Sorry this didn't help.

seahawks65's answer is incorrect. I suspect he didn't reproduce the steps correctly.

The problem is that certain system notifications, such as those created by the notifications center, are attached to the hidden volume slider "Windows Shell Experience Host" rather than "System Sounds". You can verify this by using an app such as EarTrumpet which lets you see the hidden sliders. Windows Shell Experience Host resets to 100 volume at every boot. This has been a bug since 2015 in the W10 beta.

40 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for that bit of information. If Microsoft ever want to fix this they would know exactly where to look for. And in the meantime if that EarTrumpet app can adjust that hidden volume slider, maybe I can write some script that does it at each reboot. Thanks a lot.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

**Thread locked by the Moderator as it already runs its course.**

Sorry this didn't help.