How to Add or Reinstall the Microsoft PDF Printer

There is a newer version of this article at: How to Add or Reinstall the Microsoft PDF Printer 2021 Edition

Summary

PDF, which stands for Portable Document Format is an electronic document, which maintains its original formatting regardless of the device it is viewed on. Windows 10 includes native support for creating PDF files using a virtual printer. If you happen to accidentally delete or need to create another one, this article will show you how.

Details

Click Start then type: devices and printers

Hit Enter

Click Add Printer on the command bar

Click The printer that I want isn't listed

Click Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings then click Next

Select Use an existing port then click in the list box then select PDF (Local Port)

Scroll down and select Microsoft under Manufacturer then scroll down and select Microsoft Print to PDF under Printers then click Next

Give the printer a name or leave the default, click Next

Click Finish

Resources:

How to install and Configure a Printer in Windows 10
How to manage Default Printers in Windows 10

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This doesn't exactly match the prompts in my Windows 10 devices and printers.  I went through all the steps anyway, but after finishing, it doesn't work.

1175 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

Same for me - still looking for a solution

243 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this (watch video):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/print-pdf-windows/

Basically, you'll need to select FILE (Print to File) when selecting an existing port

344 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been working on this for many hours.   There is NO "The printer I want is not listed"  only Not finding what looking for which takes me to a windows page about bluetooth!  Not helpful. 

I deleted old Windows print to pdf after:

Print to pdf appears to work it says its doing it but never puts anything in the file folder I save it to.

I found some solved this with resetting permissions on the Temp files especially if moved.  I went through all the command prompts and got the end result as specified.   No Joy. 

In sharing you have to include Current Creator or something like that not just "Everyone".  No Joy. 

The try to find a problem options doesn't find a problem. .. except won't print to pdf

I believe in a prior version of Windows 10 there was a Printer is not listed option as this post describes.  But in my latest update it disappeared.

NEW I found the printer is not listed option.. duh.... If you right click in the printer area the option does not show.  However, if you use the upper tab "Add a printer" does show and I followed every step in this article.   It put the Print to PDF printer back in.   No joy if print to it now doesn't even give me the save as file explorer which it did before.

I changed all the security settings to allow all the options.   No joy.

I then set up the printer to "save to file"  But doing that only has a Postscript? output option.  It opened explorer direction, let it save...showed it was saving.... but just as before, no file is actually saved. 

So have basically run out of options nothing seems to work

I am going to just print on a regular printer that works fine and then scan it and convert to pdf.  Would be easier if Print to PDF worked.

143 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was unable to resolve my issue with any of the recommended add printer helps either. Finally found that I had to reinstall the Windows 10 operating system - which was actually easy to do and did not affect any of my programs or files but did add the printers back that disappeared. 

116 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you very much. This helped.

24 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a Error in the instructions when told to choose an existing port.

Where is states, "Select Use an existing port then click in the list box then select PDF (Local Port)" 

It actually should be, "Select Use an existing port then click in the list box then select PORTPROMPT (Local Port)" instead.

Follow this with, "Scroll down and select Microsoft under Manufacturer then scroll down and select Microsoft Print to PDF under Printers then click Next"

Choose to create a new driver and Printer Name as you may get a Error message from Windows about an existing Printer for your MS Print to PDF. You don't have to use (Copy 1), just change to (1).

NB: you may see the older MS Print to PDF printer showing in options to print, such as from MS Word but it won't be appearing in Devices and Printers - Well it's not showing in mine; only the newer MS Print to PDF (1)

Hopefully this gets you sorted.

BTW, the reason I was scratching my head trying to get mine back was the Fall Creators Update 1709 deleted all my printer drivers - both for hardware and virtual - except for OneNote 2016, and I only discovered this when I went to print from Word to PDF two days after getting the 1709 update!

GRR at MS.

95 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

There was no PDF port for me, had to select FILE and then select Print to PDF.
The instructions worked good enough for me and i can print to PDF again.

107 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I got as far as selecting Microsoft as the Manufacturer, but there was nothing in the Printer list related to printing PDF's.

I will need to see if there is anyway that I can find a Microsoft PDF driver.

480 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks this worked. It is recommended to choose Create New Driver. 

There is a Error in the instructions when told to choose an existing port.

Where is states, "Select Use an existing port then click in the list box then select PDF (Local Port)" 

It actually should be, "Select Use an existing port then click in the list box then select PORTPROMPT (Local Port)" instead.

Follow this with, "Scroll down and select Microsoft under Manufacturer then scroll down and select Microsoft Print to PDF under Printers then click Next"

Choose to create a new driver and Printer Name as you may get a Error message from Windows about an existing Printer for your MS Print to PDF. You don't have to use (Copy 1), just change to (1).

NB: you may see the older MS Print to PDF printer showing in options to print, such as from MS Word but it won't be appearing in Devices and Printers - Well it's not showing in mine; only the newer MS Print to PDF (1)

Hopefully this gets you sorted.

BTW, the reason I was scratching my head trying to get mine back was the Fall Creators Update 1709 deleted all my printer drivers - both for hardware and virtual - except for OneNote 2016, and I only discovered this when I went to print from Word to PDF two days after getting the 1709 update!

GRR at MS.

65 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 1,369,218 Applies to: