How to activate Windows XP after Repair Install when you can't log in to Normal startup.

I had XP Home SP2 OEM installed on an AMD machine, and the power supply died.
I have a P4 machine I would rather use anyway, so I moved the hard drives from the AMD machine to the P4 machine.  Of course, XP would not boot.
Without backing up anything, I performed a Repair install (under Setup, not Recovery Console).
At first things looked ok, but eventually, I restarted XP, and a message box informed me that I could not log in until I had activated XP. 
Unfortunately, I can't run the activation wizard because I can't log in.

I found I could boot the machine in Safe Mode / Command Prompt, and then could start Windows Explorer from the command line.
I followed some hints I found online: I extracted wpa.dbl from the OEM install disk, and copied it into the Windows\System32 folder, and rebooted.  Nothing apparently had changed; I still could not log in to "normal" mode.
I rebooted into Safe Mode / Command Prompt, started Windows Explorer, and installed XP SP3.

Now I can log in to Safe Mode without networking but cannot log in with networking.  Normal mode is still unavailable.

When I attempt to start "normally", the message box saying I must activate before I can log in appears.  If I say "Yes" to "Activate now?", the desktop background appears (my own JPG shows) - but that's all.  The mouse cursor is there, but I've found no way to access any functionality after that.

I need suggestions for possible fixes that will avoid the need to completely reinstall.

Answer
Answer
Check out Fracture's answer here, it worked for me:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/ece30d55-d72d-4ff9-afe8-a577f0f4564f

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2024 Views 28,148 Applies to: