How long does it take to do a clean installation of Windows 10?

After having so many issues with Windows 10 upgrade, I decided to try a "clean" install instead using an USB drive. Everything seemed to progress well during the download period, but when the installation process began with the message: "critical" updates need to be done, then my PC seemed to have frozen. The only signs of activity at this point are a blank screen with an active mouse pointer as well as some sporadic flashing of the CPU light.

I've read some forums which state that in some cases the whole installation process may take up to 24 hours depending on your PC as well as your internet connection. Since I have a fairly new HP Pavillion HPE Desktop with an ADM core six 3200 MHz 64 bit, as well as Comcast Blast 150 Mbps internet connection, I would assume that the installation process may not take that long?...

Any advice on this matter as well as any other Windows 10 clean installation issues will be appreciated.

Answer
Answer

It's not possible to give a definitive answer for that question, because a lot depends on your own personal preferences.

I like to be careful and precise. I like to have everything setup just the way I like it. I've got a detailed checklist that I follow from beginning to end. Not surprisingly, a clean install takes most of a day for me. I actually enjoy that - it gives me a lot of satisfaction. Nobody says you have to be crazy like that.

Besides your own personal preferences, the more software you have to install, the longer it's going to take.

Perhaps the best answer is: It will take as long as it needs to take. Don't rush. Set aside an afternoon. Maybe you won't need all that time, but if you have to troubleshoot a problem that could easily suck up a few hours. And if you finish early you can do the dishes or help with the laundry or ... take your time.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Max it should take is 2 hours, 25 to 45 minutes on a connection like yours.

I suggest you download the .ISO and perform a custom install:

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

then

How to: Perform a custom installation of Windows

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 25, 2022 Views 6,700 Applies to: