How I fixed 0x800f0922 looping cancelled windows 10 auto-update with KB4551762, KB4540673 and KB4535696

Because it's a community I guess sending solutions is as good as asking questions ? (sorry for my bad syntax, not my mother language)

First 0x800f0922 can have multiple causes, but since I will provide my checking process maybe you'll find your cause the same way.

All KB4551762, KB4540673 and KB4535696 failed with the same error 0x800f0922 and a rollback occured.

Immediately after the last failure, I placed myself into windows folder with the explorer and typed cbs.log in the search

Windows did find the file located in C:\WINDOWS\Logs\CBS and I opened it with notepad

and started earching for the word "fail" and "0x800f0922" ... who had hundreds of occurences inside.

notably I found these quotes :

Failed during startup processing, continuing with Trusted Installer execution [HRESULT = 0x800f0922]

Session status queried: Current Phase: 1, Last SuccessfulState: Startup, Completed: 1, Status: 0x800f0922

Trusted Installer is shutting down because: SHUTDOWN_REASON_AUTOSTOP

Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0.  A rollback transaction will be created. [HRESULT = 0x800f0922 - CBS_E_INSTALLERS_FAILED]

Setting original failure status: 0x800f0922, last forward execute state: CbsExecuteStateResolvePending

Startup processing completed. [HRESULT = 0x800f0922]

But this message was interresting

000006cd (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Counters Installer ({b1498a21-0405-4959-adaa-7e78686acfbe}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_INVALID_DATA).  Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

Many messages were marked as "ignored" but this one about performance counter installer was marked as "Failure will not be ignored" !!!!

I scrolled down and found these quotes :

000006c1 (F) PerfCounterInstaller Error: LastCounter and LastHelp are inconsistent (8964,9171).

000006c2 (F) PerfCounterInstaller Error: Counter database is corrupted, run 'lodctr /R' to fix it.

AHHHAAA ! I opened start menu with right click, and run powershell in admin mode and typed the command suggeted by windows himself : lodctr /R

it took about 2 seconds, and windows responded "Performance counters repaired"

I rebooted and TADAAAAAA .... no more install loop and rollback, everything installed fine.

I you have update problems I suggest to dig like me in this file. Windows 10 has integrated tools to check windows update but most of the time they are completely dumb and won't find the problem, or do stupid useless operations. But Windows knows how to fix it, and just Want's you to play "search and dig" game into his logs ... where he writes the solution hidden deep inside : 

Counters Installer ({b1498a21-0405-4959-adaa-7e78686acfbe}) with HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(ERROR_INVALID_DATA).  Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed +

000006c2 (F) PerfCounterInstaller Error: Counter database is corrupted, run 'lodctr /R' to fix it.

have fun ! It's aN ESCAPE GAME ! Find the clue ! exit the locked reboot loop 0x800f0922 !    :-) 

regards

Chris

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thks a lot this problem has worried me a lot. But your solution does not work for me. However you have shown me a good way to identify the problems. Hope i can find my own problem soon.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hey bro. I think i found the problems

2020-03-25 22:54:02, Error                 CSI    000009a7 (F) Installer: Task Scheduler Binary Name: cmiadapter.dll ErrorCode: 80070005 Phase: 38 Mode: Install (upgrade) Component: Microsoft-Windows-BrokerInfrastructure-Configuration, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS[gle=0x80004005]

After this, upgrading began to roll back.

But, there is not any fix advice.errr, do you have any suggestions?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have solved the problem.!!!

Though my problem is not the same as yours, but your idea have inspried me a lot and help me save a lot time.

Thks anyway.

By the way, my problem have something to do with the reg of xbl.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Happy you escaped ! 

0x800f0922 is the name of the room where we were locked in a time loop.

But there are many doors and many keys, including registry keys ^^

Congratulations

Level up ! play again at next update ;)

PS: since there are many exit doors you don't need to hide your solution as a spoiler, please provide the name of the registry key for others.

0x800f0922 is an hexadecimal number that converts to 2148469026.

This means Windows 10 is able to generate a maximum of 0xFFFFFFFF (4294967295) rooms and just as many keys !! :D big fun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Of course i will share my experience. Maybe post in the community too?

AHHHHAA.

I am a uni student in china, though i major in CS but there are still many things beyond my capability and learning is the first priority.

Actually i stuck into the problem a week ago, but i cannot get any useful or meaningful advice from the community until i saw this post.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 3,566 Applies to: