How do you stop windows 10 from updating during active hours?

This frequently happens while writing a paper or in the middle of a game. It seems like windows does not understand active hours and what is happening at that moment it decides to start an update. I have changed the hours to see if a change will get it to work properly. Active hours just seems like  a bug that tells windows to update.

Hi Steven, 

I'd like to confirm some details so we can formulate a more established workaround. 

Active hours allow you to set a scheduled update installation to avoid losing work when your computer needs to restart to complete the installation of the update. But Windows might still download the update reason why some users suggest setting connection to metered to avoid the download of the update. 

Noting that you've already have active hours set up, have you considered configuring it through Group Policy or MDM?

Another way is to make the changes directly through the Registry, but please note that this method is not recommended. This should only be used when neither Group Policy or MDM are available as any settings configured through Registry may conflict with any existing configuration that uses any of the methods mentioned above.

I've attached an article that you might find helpful: 

Manage device restarts after updates

Note: The method to fix the issue will have Registry modification. Before you modify the Registry, make sure to back it up and understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. Please refer to this link:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows 

I'll keep an eye out for your update.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So my options are to fiddle with the registry or group policy/mdm on each of my machines?

This has been a problem since windows 10 launched. The 2016 anniversary update was supposed to fix this problem and did not.

From your article: "Active hours identify the period of time when you expect the device to be in use. Automatic restarts after an update will occur outside of the active hours." Yet this does not work.

I have multiple win 10 desktops & laptops, chromebooks, and apple computer. the last 2 do not have this problem. WIn 7 did not have this problem. But across windows 10 devices this is a common problem. This still seems like a bug, when updates are suppose to be  a feature. Lose of MY computer while an update installs is unacceptable. I understand critical updates, but most updates are not critical.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, those are part of your options— although I'd like to verify the exact occurrence during Active Hours

Does your computer automatically restarts itself while you're using it without notifying you about the action, or does it even give you the option to Restart on a later time?

Please provide the exact message it gives you so we can further check for other possible triggers. 

Also, which update was offered? 
If it completed the installation of the update, please attach a snip of the current build your OS is running. Press the Windows key, type winver, then hit Enter. It should show you the details needed.

Looking forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 803 Applies to: