Q: How do you re-enable windows update services? This thread is locked from future replies

Recently I got a virus and got it all cleared out. However the virus removed my windows update services (see picture: and I can't update my Windows OS anymore. When I try to update it it looks like this: and tells me to restart my computer. I've looked online and it says to disable windows update services then clear out the windows update folder (since something in there got fragmented) but my windows update service is completely missing! How do I re-add it to my services.msc and get it to work properly?

Use this information it will work......i have tried n it workd for me.......

The first thing to do is to stop the Windows Update service on your Windows 7 machine. You can do this by going to Start and typing in services.msc in the search box.

Next, press Enter and the Windows Services dialog will appear. Now scroll down until you see the Windows Update service, right-click on it and choose Stop.

Now that the Windows Update service has been disabled, you need to go to the following folder and delete all the files and folders inside of it:

Once you have deleted everything, go back to the Services dialog and right-click on the Windows Update service and choose Start. All the files and folders will be re-created and hopefully you can start downloading updates for your PC.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

187 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 45,777 Last updated: March 15, 2018 Applies to: