How do you know if your windows 10 is paid for?

I bought a stand alone windows7 back in 2010.  The computer that I put it on has long been dead.  I tried to put it on my new computer but  the drivers needed to install it could not be found.  I would have installed windows 7 but I couldnt.  

As I understand it, many people were forced into windows 10 and It looks like I was too.

I entered my product key and it was refused.  It is my understanding that if you buy a stand alone os out of a box at a store that it is transferable to other computers.  At least one computer.

I also have a new computer with a bad motherboard that is out of warranty and cost more to fix than windows 10 does to buy and since it came with windows activation on the board , I will have to buy windows for that computer too.  It looks like mircosoft is getting me both ways.

Unless.......  I just can't tell whether or not  microsoft has actually decided to honor my windows 7 keys and has upgraded me to windows 10.  I CAN'T TELL, SO HOW WOULD I KNOW?  Do I just have to wait until they shut me down?  Why is it so hard to tell?

I think it's a pretty crappy deal that you cant transfer your keys from one mother board to another no matter what the excuse might be.  I'm not asking for anything for free and I don't want to be double charged either.

I have been terribly clear here, so please no mealy mouth answers that don't answer my question.  Thanks, because frankly , many of the answers that I have read really suck.

Answer
Answer

Well I'm confused.

What is it you want to know - I think you are saying you have windows 10 on a computer but youre not sure it is activated ?   Settings / Update / Activation      Should say something about like this;

Then also;

I also have a new computer with a bad motherboard that is out of warranty and cost more to fix than windows 10 does to buy and since it came with windows activation on the board , I will have to buy windows for that computer too.  It looks like mircosoft is getting me both ways.

If you have a bad motherboard, in activation you can contact support for a hardware change and they will activate your new motherboard -sometimes they might ask for proof, receipt for new motherboard or service work order.

And this;;;

It is my understanding that if you buy a stand alone os out of a box at a store that it is transferable to other computers. 

You can contact support again - there is a command to remove it from the system and registry;

slmgr /upk        uninstalls key, follow with;
slmgr.vbs /cpky        deletes product key in registry

but you might still need to talk to support to activate the key again.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2019 Views 106 Applies to: