How do I Wipe Everything Off a Hard Drive Except the OS, All the Drivers, and All the Updates?

Question:

How do I Wipe Everything Off a Hard Drive Except the OS, All the Drivers, and All the Updates?

Statement:

I own a computer that I want to sell. I have a wipe disk that cleans all data. Is there a way to wipe all data except the OS (Operating System), every driver, and all the updates on this computer. Wiping the entire hard drive, finding drivers (I don't buy driver tools) and getting all the updates takes to long and painful to do (especially this computer because windows update goes through allot of errors I have to fix). It would be awesome if someone has a program to do this.

Conclusion:

If this is possible to do, this is what I have to deal with when I sell it:

• Wipe
  • Install OS
  • Find Drivers
  • Clear Windows Update Errors
  • Download and Install Updates
  • Create Ad
  • Find Buyer
  • Claim Money

|

Here you go:

1. Factory Reset
  2. Create Ad
  3. Find Buyer
  4. Claim Money

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

So this factory reset will keep all the drivers, updates too?
My Rig:
· AMD FX-6100 · GTX 1050 2G · 16GB DDR3 Memory · WD Blue 7200RPM HD · Samsung SSD 860 PRO · Windows 10 · 970 Extream4 Motherboard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So this factory reset will keep all the drivers, updates too?

It will keep the drivers that were pre-installed by the manufacturer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The short answer is no.

The system of unspecified make and model will return to the state it was in when it left the factory.

Any driver updates you have installed since you unboxed it will be lost.

Any software or applications you have installed since you unboxed it will be lost.

Any Windows updates (Service Packs, Windows Updates, security patches, etc.) you have installed since you unboxed it will be lost. 

If you want to see what that means, open Windows Update, click Installed Updates and all those updates will be lost and have to be reinstalled (242 updates on my poor system):

After the factory reset the new owner will need to somehow get the system on the Internet and download and install any driver updates, Windows Service Packs, Windows Updates, etc. just like you had to do when you got the system new.

It is a pain but if they were to buy a new computer from the store they would still need to do all that anyway.

If you want to be a really swell guy, you could do the factory reset and then you could download and install all the driver updates and all the Windows updates and install them before handing it over to the new owner.

You should charge extra for that.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2021 Views 8,655 Applies to: