How do I turn on wireless on a HP Envy DV6-7210US?

What combination of keys do I have to press to get the computer to connect to my wireless router? My router has guest access turned on and the wireless icon is lit, but I keep getting an error that my wireless access on the computer is turned off. The f11 key is lit red, but I am being told that it should be lit blue if enabled. I am trying to set it up prior to giving the computer as a gift. (The router is a Linksys E2000)
Chas

If it is like most HP's you use the same key to toggle it off and on.  IF F11 is orange another click may turn it blue.

If not  Have you run troubleshooting in network and sharing?
Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Another click just turns the light off. I have tried to troubleshoot, but I keep getting the same answer, not connected. I have airplane mode off and the computer shows the wifi as off. I have a desktop that is hard wired into the router so I am new at this. I don't know if there is a key combination to turn the wireless on. (Fn, f11 doesn't do it)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a desktop that is hard wired into the router

So you don't need wireless to access the router's admin panel.

What does   ipconfig  /all   show?

Or maybe  netsh   could give clearer clues.   Unfortunately for this case I don't think I know the right questions to ask it...

Hmm...  this may be a clue.   FWIW I just entered and saw:

<cmd_output>

C:\>netsh lan sh in

The Wired AutoConfig Service (dot3svc) is not running.
</cmd_output>

Then doing a search about that and routers found a suggestion to start that service manually.

(Top thread not shown, XP case)

(BING search for
    dot3svc router site:microsoft.com
)

and

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749352(v=WS.10).aspx

<quote>

Unlike the WLAN (wireless) AutoConfig service, the Wired AutoConfig service is in stopped mode by default. To perform 802.1X authentication over Ethernet connections for clients running Windows Vista, you must first start the Wired AutoConfig service.
</quote>

Enough justification to try the idea?   ;  )

Otherwise, contact your router manufacturer.   They will be sure to know how to get you going.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was a update for the wireless on this particular model. I updated, but the wireless ability was about 50%. (When I would boot, the wireless would work about every other boot.) I talked to HP Support and they were willing to send a new wireless card, but the problem could be a connection issue at the motherboard. The computer was only 3 days old and I am giving this computer as a gift, so I returned the computer for another model. I have had no wireless issues with the new unit. Apparantly the problem was with the original computer.

Thanks for the answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2021 Views 4,186 Applies to: