How do I transfer Minecraft from an old computer to a new one

I got minecraft for my son a couple of years ago, but he has now changed to a new computer. How do I get minecraft for his new computer? I did go to the downloader but it is asking me to purchase it, I have tried signing in with both his and my microsoft account, and nothing is working.
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you would like to reinstall Minecraft on the new PC. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 installed on the PC? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
  • Which Minecraft Edition did you purchase a couple of years ago? (Windows 10 Edition from Microsoft Store/ Java Edition from Minecraft website)

If you have purchased Java Edition from Minecraft website, then go to Minecraft website and sign in with the same email account you used to purchase the game at that time. Then install the game on the PC.

If you have purchased Windows 10 Edition from Microsoft Store, then check your order historyif Minecraft is showing in the list. If it is showing then perform these steps.

Step 1: Reset the Windows Store Cache

Press the Windows Logo Key + R to open the Run dialog box, type wsreset.exe, and then select OK.

Note: A blank Command Prompt window will open, and after about ten seconds the window will close and Microsoft Store will open automatically.

Step 2: Run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter

Select the Start    button, and then select Settings>Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Additional troubleshooters, and then from the list select Windows Store appsRun the troubleshooter.

We would also suggest you to perform the steps from this article: Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store

Let us know the results. If the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 41,611 Applies to: