How do I stop Windows from rebooting every night?

I upgraded to Windows 10 around August 15th.  At first it seemed to be behaving normally.   I have my updates set to allow me to schedule a time to reboot and I got the first notification of an update in the middle of last week.   I told it to go ahead and do the update at 1am and the next day I got a notification of the update failing and it asking me for another time to do it.  Once again I let it try overnight, with no luck, so this time I went ahead and had it do it right away and it seemed to succeed.

Ever since then though, my system has been rebooting nightly.   If I go in to Windows Update advanced settings, it's set to "Notify to schedule restart".   If I go to the event log,  I can see it restarting about 1am from the events that are there.  One day I could see that it had applied a windows defender definition update, but other days I can't tell why its rebooting.  I've disabled Windows Update service completely.   I've gone through the scheduler and the only thing I can see scheduled for 1am is a "maps update".

Any ideas where to look or what to do?  Tempted to go back to Windows 7 if it allows me...

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family. I would be happy to assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that Windows restarts by itself at specific times.

I would suggest you to place the computer in a Clean Boot state to isolate the issue and check if there are any third party applications to be causing the problem.

1.  To disable all non-Microsoft services consult the article called Clean Boot. 

Follow: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"

Disclaimer: A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot. You must log on to the computer as an administrator to be able to perform a clean boot. Your computer may temporarily lose some functionality when you perform a clean boot. When you start the computer normally, the functionality returns. However, you may receive the original error message, or experience the original behavior if the problem still exists. If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

2.  To disable any 3rd party unwanted startup programs in Windows 8 and above, follow: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/20119.how-to-enable-or-disable-startup-programs-in-windows-8.aspx 

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

If the issue still persists, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 2,861 Applies to: