How do I stop windows 10 from ruining my gaming experience with auto updates lagging out my computer ?

I need help. Windows 10 is ruining my gaming experience making it impossible for me to enjoy playing games on my pc. It continuously updates everyday downloading updates while im trying to play which for a gamer is a life and death situation. I cant have this happening while im gaming it lags out my net to have updates  downloading in the background while im playing. I need to turn off auto downloads and stop my pc from updating . The problem is theres no controls to change it except for the decide when to restart ... the problem isnt the restarting its the background downloads lagging me out . Someone please help or I will have to go back to windows 8.1 so i can actually enjoy gaming again

If you don't mind once or twice a week turning it back on when you are not gaming to get the current updates, then the only thing that helps is to simply disable the Windows Update service. To do so, click the search magnifying glass icon on your task bar, type “service,” and then start the Services tool. Navigate to Windows Update. After double-clicking the service, you can stop it and disable it so it won’t be bothersome again.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Having to turn Windows update off and them remember to turn it on again is an absurd recommendation. This function should be built into the operating system. I would like someone at Microsoft to explain why this is not possible. It is common sense that you do not want potentially huge, bandwidth-hogging updates downloading in the background while playing games that require uninterrupted, fast internet speeds. 

110 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree, it super sucks that since the last updates, I can barely move ingame.. fps went from 95 fps to 1.2... seriously Microsoft.. fix 10 asap.

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 to try it, and for gaming, it has been a NIGHTMARE. I work all day, keep that POS on the full day, and it always tries to download updates when I'm gaming killing my DSL connection... I've messed with all time settings everything I try backfires. It sucks so hard. I would have never done it if I would have known I'd have no control over my computer. I've tried killing services and they keep coming back on. No wonder we're keeping clear of it on the enterprise level as long as we can. netsvc, BITS, and windows update can bite me.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Amen!!!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Game Mode doesn't stop Win 10 downloading?

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Remove Windows 10 and install Windows 7. Seriously. Windows 10 is just a bad OS, and Microsoft is no longer a company that produces quality software with the customer in mind. Windows 10 is designed around being a data-mining and harvesting monster, and Microsoft makes money off of selling people's data. Windows 10 is designed to ignore the customer's wishes and optimal operating conditions in order to maximize the amount of data Microsoft can acquire through the most invasive methods possible.

The Microsoft of today is immensely inferior to the Microsoft of when Ballmer was CEO - as painful as that is to face.

If you want a private and personal OS, which obeys your instructions, and which isn't bloated to the extreme as Windows 10 is with useless and garbage apps, ads, spyware and data-theft mechanisms, then just install Windows 7, and be reminded of what an OS is supposed to be. Windows 10 is a lost cause, and today's Microsoft is just an adware company with no greater morals than a patent troll or a ransomware maker.

Windows 7 is a LOT more solid and reliable than Windows 10, anyway.

140 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 20,124 Applies to: