How do I stop Windows 10 from resizing and repositioning my windows when my computer goes to sleep?

I have Windows 10 and am using an HP 2311x monitor. Whenever my computer goes to sleep and I go back to work, any open windows I had are all resized and repositioned on my screen. This is supremely obnoxious -- how can I make it stop?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Loha,

I realize that you want to stop the changes made to the open windows when the PC comes back from sleep mode. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may run the Power troubleshooter and restart the computer to check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting”.

• Click on “View all” and select “Power”.

Follow the on-screen directions to run this troubleshooter completely. Once this is done, restart the computer and check the status.

Further you may also follow these steps to reset all default power plans to default settings:

• Open a command prompt.

• In the command prompt, type “powercfg –restoredefaultschemes” and press Enter.

• Close the command prompt.

Remember to restart the computer to check if that helps.

Ensure to install all pending Windows updates on the pc to keep it up to date. In the search box on the taskbar, enter Windows Update, select Windows Update. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates. Updates are additions to software that can help prevent or fix problems, improve how your computer works, or enhance your computing experience.

Keep us updated to help you further.

Thank you.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

This did not work.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

You may temporarily disable any 3rd party security software and check if this helps.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if that helps. A clean boot state will help us to determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a VERY ridiculous thing to ask someone to do for what SHOULD be an extremely simple request: DON'T RESIZE MY WINDOWS WHEN MY COMPUTER GOES TO SLEEP!!!!

If it goes to sleep in state X, it ought to wake up in state X, not in state Y.

And if I go ahead and start down the path you recommend, what other cascading implications might your suggestions have on my system?

HERE'S a suggestion if you really want to help me further: How about a Windows 10 update that has a box I can tick in the system settings:

[  ] Do not resize and reposition my windows when system awakes from sleep state.

Anything short of this is really not helpful at all -- it's a hack and a workaround that might screw up other things in my system and send me down an infinite loop of system tweaks from which I might never recover. And no, this is not hyperbole -- it's pretty much the way Windows works.

Feh.

293 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

We are following these steps to narrow down the cause for this issue.

Suggest you to leave your findings, comments and feedback related to this product using the “Feedback app”. You can also use the Windows Feedback app to tell Microsoft which features you love, which features you could do without, or when something could be better.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think the reason is that the system loses what kind of monitors it is connected to upon turning the monitors off.

It could be that the registry is messed up a little.

I have the same issue but for all windows (open and closed). It opens all the windows on one monitor (I have two monitors one high DPI and one low DPI). The system moves all the windows on Monitor 2 to Monitor 1 and moves the windows on Monitor 1 around and resizes them.

I see when it wakes up, it wakes up with Monitor 2 alone and then Monitor 1 wakes up with some weird resolution, and then the correct resolutions come up and the windows are moved all to Monitor 1.

I can't tell if it is the graphics driver or windows. It could be that Windows or the graphics card can't recognize my Monitor 1 easily and it has to redetect it each time, but this is incredibly annoying.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've experienced this problem, as well for the past few months.  Applications are resized and re-positioned upon wake from sleep.  I've had the same Surface Book and external monitor (Dell U3415W) since January and a few months ago began experiencing this issue - presumably after an update.

Upon resume from sleep, my applications are resized in various ways.  They are usually scrunched up in some manner on the left side of my monitor.  Outlook, Excel and Chrome are what I use most and have to resize.

It is incredibly annoying as it takes time to find my applications and put them back in a usable condition.

43 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This bug goes well beyond incredibly annoying.  So many workstation users depend on a stable desktop to be functional, I with them. Only Microsoft could have the gall to let this problem go unsolved so long. 

I've used MS OS systems since the 80's, and have resented all of them for their refusal to keep what works working between versions. Here we go again.

I just made the jump from a 4-monitor Win7 system that once set up (two monitors each on two cards) ALWAYS worked.  I could always unplug any one or more monitors, let them sleep, turn off, move and reconnect (minding their order!) etc, and NEVER did the icons reposition, nor did my carefully selected font scaling change, nor did my applications move.

It took YEARS for me to discover how to get Win7 to stop screwing with my icons, but it never messed with the resolution I set. EVER. I did finally fix that problem, no thanks to any help from MS.

Before that I got multiple monitors to work well under XP.

So now, after being forced to migrate to Windows 10, I find that Windows has once again overdesigned its desktop cleanup robotics so that I cannot have a consistently functional desktop OS serving $5K in hardware.

Both my monitors are ASUS PA329 4k, each running on DisplayPort to an ASUS GTX-1080 (NVidia GPU and drivers).  Intel X99 platform. Prior I've also tried AMD (Radeon RX480 GPU and drivers), DP vs HDMI and/or a mix.  Each one has its own quirks with waking up from sleep, but inevitably after several unremarkable sleep cycles, I come back from one to find my desktop and settings trashed.  No, my dog did not do it.

Imagine, Wizards at Microsoft, the following scenario. It requires that you don the humility of a Microsoft customer for a moment:

Your are in the middle of an important project. When you left for lunch, your work was neatly arranged where you put it.  Proud of your tidy office, you leave knowing that after a good meal, you'll get right back to being productive.  Papers in neat stacks, intention and order evident.

Then you come back from lunch to find your office ransacked. By the time you find all your stuff, and put it back WHERE YOU LEFT IT, an hour has transpired.  You are left with the nagging feeling that something is missing.  And finally, rattled, you get back to work.

There might have been a note left on the screen, but this magic all happened in the background. If one had been penned, it would have said, "Hi. We cleaned up when you were sleeping.  Love, Microsoft.

Thank you for thirty years of reducing my lifetime productivity as an engineer, businessman and artist, because I must also spend such a stunning amount of time babysitting your operating systems in order to work at all.  User friendly? 

Please fix the multi-monitor support in your flagship OS so that it works no worse that in Win7 or XP. 

156 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also had this problem and searched for an answer, coming across this thread.

I am thrilled to report that - for me, at least - the Windows 10 Creator Update seems to have also corrected any issues I had with the rearranging/resizing of windows when coming in/out of sleep with the Surface Dock and my Surface Book with Performance Base.

I'd be curious to hear if this update also solves the issue for others?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This just started happening to me AFTER last update.  Never had issue before.  One update AFTER Creator update.  

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2021 Views 58,374 Applies to: