How do I stop 'NT TASK\HP\HP Print Scan Doctor\Printer Health Monitor' from waking up my computer?

Basically ever since I have had my computer it has been randomly waking up and I found out it is because of 'NT TASK\HP\HP Print Scan Doctor\Printer Health Monitor'. I don't have a printer in my house, but it keeps trying to scan for one? Is there a way to disable this or turn it off?

|
Hi

I am Bill, an Independent Advisor. I am here to help.

Find the printer software and uninstall it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

how do I do that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click start and type HP.
Look for the HP app.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am shocked that after half a decade of people digging in to find this task which runs HPPrintScanDoctor on a regular daily time which is set to Wake the computer to run this task, HP has done nothing but ask people to uninstall and reinstall the very things that set up the task.

You could:

• Delete the task in Task Scheduler, but it gets set up again

• Disable the task in Task Scheduler, but it gets re-enabled

• Disallow the "Wake the computer to run this task" option of the task, but it gets allowed again

• HP Print Scan Doctor, at irregular update intervals, sets up the daily timer task to wake the machine to run itself daily; even if the task is deleted, disabled or set to not wake the machine.

• Delete HPPrintScanDoctor from C:\ProgramFiles\HP and in a month or two find it gets reinstalled.

• It seems from updates to HP Smart from the Windows App Store

The removal and reinstallation of HP drivers just removes the task until the next time one of the installed HP files decides to set the task as a daily timer again.

The real fix, the one that requires HP's attention and not customer's bumbling about with poor support, is for someone to change the way the program sets up this, and all tasks, such that they DO NOT WAKE THE MACHINE TO RUN THIS TASK. Ideally Windows could allow admin users to disallow ALL tasks from having this setting active, by default.

My desktop is set to sleep after 8 hours, because I expect to command it to sleep; When it wakes from this task and I come home to find it running for nothing (the printer, by the way, is totally stand alone and wifi enabled, and doesn't really get any attention from Print Scan Doctor); well my room is hot and my hardware is wearing down for nothing.

My laptop is even worse, in that sometimes it's turned on and running hot while in a sleeve inside a backpack. That might lead to real damage to my property. For a printer that's not even on the network the laptop is on when on the go.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, Display Name. I am SO SICK of this. What a horrid company HP is. I only use their printer because my Mom was throwing hers away, because for years she couldn't get it to work with her Mac properly. Did you know HP wants to turn ink into a subscription service? It's a disgusting company that hasn't improved their printers or software for years and has a business model entirely set up to intentionally cheat people on ink, a product that still seems dirt cheap in a Sharpie, for some reason...

It is absolutely INFURIATING to come home to my computer turned on for NO reason, just burning electricity and wearing down my fans and new OLED for NOTHING!

So, what can I do? Based on your research, it seems I only have two options: 1. I start shutting off the computer completely. 2. I just uninstall the printer until I actually need to use it, which is luckily not that often for me...

Option number 2, I think.

HP, you are the worst. Everyone I know in multiple work environments I've experienced hates your company and your printers. I cannot wait for a new company to come into the printer market and upend it with cheap ink and reliable machines. It's coming...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 651 Applies to: