How do I set up a "dummy" account in Win 10?

How do I set up a "dummy" account in Win 10?  All I need/want is a simple login/password account.  In previous vers. (Win XP, WIn 7, Win 8) I was able to use this isolated account for app development.  Now Win 10 wants email adds, birthdates and other useless *stuff*.  Is there anyway to bypass all of this 'Help'?

There are two types of user account in Windows: a Microsoft account (hereinafter MSA) and a local account. The difference between them is that your MSA account can be used on any computer, while your local account can only be used on the one computer where you originally set it up.

The information in your MSA is stored in 'the cloud' (i.e., the internet), which is how your able to access it from any computer. Just sign in to your MSA on any computer, and all the information stored in your MSA is available to you, just as if you were sitting in front of your own computer at home.

But a MSA is a lot more than that: It can also be your email account, calendar, online storage, instant messaging and much more. And since these things are all about 'sharing' you get asked all these questions about your personal business.

But you can avoid all that by creating a local account instead of a MSA. A local account can't share anything, so no questions.

P.S. You should have a Microsoft account for reasons I'll explain in the next sentence, but you don't ever have to use it or answer any of those questions. You need MSA credentials (user name and password) to access certain settings and to use Windows Store. But you never have to do anything with it. Leave the questions blank or make up phoney answers if you need to. Ignore it.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the answer, but how do I set up a "local" account?  When I try to skip an answer, Win 10 gets upset.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Bing Google is your friend: how to setup a local account on windows 10.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's what I tried at the begining.  That's what drove up up a tree!  Win 10 still wants a First Name, E-mail address, Birth date Etc.  All I want is a simple log in of "Test" and a password.  Microsoft doesn't 'need' to know anything.  I guess I don't understand why they make life so difficult?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Here’s how to create another account on your PC.
Follow these steps below:

•  Select the start button, then select Settings.
  •  Select Accounts > other users.
  •  Under other users, select Add someone else to this PC.
  •  At the bottom of the page, select I don’t’ have this person’s sign-in information.
  •  At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
  • Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, then select Next.
  •  Select Finish.
Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

But there is no way to login into XboX live via local account, so dont make this guy (thread starter) stupid.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why don't you consider putting random information then?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 18, 2024 Views 12,828 Applies to: