How do I set security to access a mapped drive on another network computer

I have set up a private network and a mapped drive on another network computer. I can see the mapped drive from the my PC in my network locations. When I try to open the mapped drive from my PC, I get a "Windows cannot access this device" since I do not have permission error. The drive is set with read/write permissions on it's computer and I can find no settings on my computer to provide permissions for that device. How can I turn on the appropriate permissions to use the drive?
Hi, I'm David an independent advisor and user just like you. I'll do my best to help you with this.

In terms of the permissions you set all that on the PC which is sharing the folder - not on the one you are trying to connect from.

The easiest way is to create a local account on the sharing computer, and make sure you've given that account access to the folder via the "Share" options. You also need to make sure this particular account has a password as sharing using an account without a password can often cause access errors.

So let's say you had a computer called PCA and you wanted to share a folder called Test. You make the user I mention on PCA, and you'd using the sharing options to grant access to this account.

Then on your own PC when you attempt to access the folder that is shared from PCA you should get a login prompt appearing which will be looking for a username and password - you supply the username and password you made on PCA previously.

A useful option is also to try to open the shared folder directly by entering its name in to the RUN box - this avoid any problems with the browse not working as expected when you look for it via explorer. So in my example above you could try opening the folder from your own PC by right-clicking START, choosing RUN, and then in the box enter: \\PCA\Test

Regards,
David
David Spink
Scotland

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, David. Your message helped quite a bit but I am still having two issues with permissions. For simplicity I will describe my network as consisting of two Win10 Pro PC's which I will call Me and NotMe. I am the main user on both but they are not colocated and I want to  keep data on NotMe's disks D:\ and G:\ (read\write\change) and also be able to change the data in C:\Users\wille Document and Pictures folders in both machines from the other if desired.

Following the information you provided plus a little stumbling around on my part, I was able to get full access to NotMe\D:\ and \G:.  I have been able to get read only access to NotMe C: but cannot achieve full access by similar methods. I have been unable to get access to \\NotMe\C:\Users\wille or Network>NotMe>Users\wille from Control Panel. I can, however, get full access to the Public Users folders on either computer from the other. Perhaps the problems are linked and that Microsoft will not allow full access to the root or the private folders on another PC. If this is the case, I can live with it, but if it is not, I really would like to get the access I desire.

Regards, Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lee,

A user from Me can have read/write access on NotMe's Root folders. Please keep in mind the following:
1. Permissions are granted based on user accounts and not computers
2. Me and NotMe should have different user account names, else this would cause conflict
3. Folder permissions are different from share permissions

Is "Give access to" an option for you? I would recommend checking the following article, taking the little notes in to account: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-shar...

Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information that might solve your current issue.
Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).
Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Let us know if this helped you out.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your reply, Richard. The link you provided gave me great in site on the issue and some things were not set as it stated. Unfortunately the problem persists. There are differences in the behavior of the two PC's as to what they can change in the other even though the settings appear to be the same. I think it has become time to do a clean reinstall of Win 10 on NotMe and try again. When I turn permissions on in some cases on that machine I am getting errors saying it cannot enumerate items and shows the folders I cannot access from Me. I may have just had a bad install. Again, thanks for your help, the article you referenced should be a great guide in setting up the new installation from scratch.

Regards, Lee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 5,759 Applies to: