How do I scan an external hard disk to test integrity?

My main external hard disk, which I use as a backup, seems to have introduced a few errors in one or two files. How do I scan it to test its integrity?

I ran a simple test for errors in the Properties/Tools section, but it immediately came up with no errors - and suspiciously quickly. I'm assuming it was just looking for basic file system errors, not integrity of the hard disk. 

Thanks. 

Hi Granny,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

As per your concern about scanning the external hard drive for corrupted files, we will help you with this issue.

1. Do let us know what is the exact error code/ error message of this issue (When you try to perform scan/ access the files)?
  2. How exactly have you tried to perform scan for files on your external hard drive?

Method 1: Please try to confirm us if you have tried the following steps to do so:

1. Connect the external drive to your device.
  2. Press Windows + E, click on This PC from the left pane.
  3. Right click on the hard drive, click on Properties.
  4. Under Properties, click on Tools tab.
  5. Under Error-checking, click Check now.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  6. To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

7. Click Start.

Method 2: I suggest you to deploy chkdsk command and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows + keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin). 
  2. In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:  
                 chkdsk */f   (* is
    the drive letter of the drive you want to test)
  3. You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).
  4. Press Y key on the keyboard and press Enter key.
  5. Restart the computer and check.

Chkdsk disclaimer: The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your own risk.

NOTE: If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a drive that's in use (for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted to reschedule the check for the next time you restart your computer.

Hope it helps. Kindly get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 21,855 Applies to: