How do I run an app or program blocked by Windows 10?

I am trying to install a third-party (non Windows) antivirus & firewall suite on Windows 10 Home Insider Preview Evaluation Copy.  Build 10130.   The file is an .EXE file downloaded directly from the publisher.  I had no problems installing under Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, but Windows 10 is blocking me from running the installation file and I can't find where to change a setting to allow the installation.  This has also happened with numerous other installation programs with an .EXE file.

The message I get is:

This app can't run on this PC

Windows blocked Kaspersky 2015 from opening because it might damage your PC or destroy data.

If there is no work-around for this issue, it will be a total deal-breaker for numerous people upgrading to Windows 10.    

I'm sure there should be a way to do it, but it seems that it is not in any of the places that would be obvious for an end-user to look.

|
Answer
Answer

Try these in order:

Disable SmartScreen

1. Follow thiswebsite for instructions on how to disable SmartScreen in Windows 10
  2. If this didn't work for you, go on to the next suggestion.

Enable App Side-loading

1. Open up the Settings app, and navigate to Update & Security > For Developers
  2. Toggle Side-load apps
  3. If this doesn't work, go on to the final suggestion

Make a copy of the .exe file: Do just what the title says, make a copy of the .exe file, and try running that.

See if these help you. I don't recommend running your anti-virus version in Windows 10 if it's blocked however, and make sure to turn SmartScreen on again as well as turn off Side-loading.

120 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 22, 2021 Views 130,252 Applies to: